A dressing can really make or break a salad and this Easy Lemon Salad Dressing will bring any salad to life with its light and fresh flavours. It's zingy, vibrant and zesty, and really everything that you could want from a dressing. Store bought dressing just doesn't compare to this.
If you are looking for a light and fresh vinaigrette recipe that will liven up any dish, then this Lemon Vinaigrette is it. A careful blend of olive oil, lemon juice, mustard, honey and garlic, you are going to want to put it on everything.
Our lemon salad dressing is perfect with a hot or cold salad, or even just to dip bread in to. It is super versatile, and most importantly tastes amazing.
Why you will love it
- A light and fresh summer salad dressing - Add this lemon salad dressing to a big green salad for a light and fresh meal.
- Delicious on hot or cold salads - Anything with lemon is good for a hot day.
- Just 5 ingredients - You probably already have the ingredients you need to make this homemade vinaigrette.
- Only takes a couple of minutes to make - So quick and simple.
- Can be made in advance - Make a double batch and keep it in the fridge to use on salads throughout the week.
Ingredients and substitutions
- Olive oil - This is what thickens the lemon dressing recipe up and gives it that rich flavour. Use the best quality that you can afford, as honestly you will be able to taste the difference, because it is a lemon olive oil dressing.
- Lemon - The star of this dressing - we used just the juice. Make sure it is a nice juicy lemon, otherwise you might have to use more in this citrus vinaigrette recipe.
- Garlic - This adds a nice kick to the easy vinaigrette. If you aren't a fan of garlic, then you could leave it out.
- Mustard - This adds another layer or flavour to the lemon salad dressing and adds some colour too. We used Dijon, but you could use wholegrain instead.
- Honey - You don't have to add this if you don't like sweet dressings, but we find that it balances out the tartness of the lemon.
- Salt and pepper - Finish the lemon salad dressing off by seasoning it to perfection. It really just brings all the flavours together.
A full ingredients list with measurements is in the recipe card below.
How to make Lemon Vinaigrette - Step by step
One: Add all the ingredients to a bowl.
Two: Mix well.
Health benefits of lemons
Not only do lemons have an amazing flavour and add lots of freshness to sweet and savoury dishes, but they have lots of nutritional benefits too.
Lemons are a great source of vitamin C. One 58g lemon can provide over 30mg of vitamin C. Vitamin C plays a key role in the formation of collagen, the support system of the skin and it also helps with iron absorption, as well as giving a boost to your immune system.
How to use lemon salad dressing
As well as being a salad dressing, this lemon vinaigrette recipe is the perfect way to make vegetables more exciting. We love it drizzled on greens, or even poured over roasted vegetables. If you are going to use it on a salad, here are some of our favourites that would be perfect with it:
- Roasted Butternut Squash Salad
- Couscous Salad
- Broccoli Salad
- Chicken Pasta Salad
- Roasted Cauliflower Salad
- Spicy Steak Salad
- Roasted Sweet Potato Salad
- Warm Lamb Salad
- Roasted Vegetable Salad
This dressing will store in an air tight container for up to a week in the fridge. Make sure you shake it well before pouring.
es, as long as you make sure there is no cross contamination, then this can be a gluten free salad dressing.
• If we are serving this on a green salad, then we will make it heavy on the lemon. However, if it is a dressing for a salad that has quite strong flavours already, then we balance it out with a higher olive oil to lemon ratio.
• Always use fresh lemons to make this dressing, rather than squeezed lemon juice in a bottle. Fresh lemons will always give you a stronger flavour.
• If raw garlic is too much of a strong flavour for you, you could add some finely chopped shallot instead.
More dressing recipes
If you’ve tried this vinaigrette recipe, then let us know how you got on in the comments below.
Tag us in your creations on Instagram @hungryhealthyhappy - You can use the hashtag #hungryhealthyhappy too.
- 1 Lemon - (juice and zest only)
- 5 tablespoon Olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 Garlic clove - crushed
- 1 tablespoon Honey
- 1 pinch Sea salt and black pepper
- Put everything in a bowl.
- Mix well.
- If we are serving this on a green salad, then we will make it heavy on the lemon. However, if it is a dressing for a salad that has quite strong flavours already, then we balance it out with a higher olive oil to lemon ratio.
- Always use fresh lemons to make this dressing, rather than squeezed lemon juice in a bottle. Fresh lemons will always give you a stronger flavour.
- If raw garlic is too much of a strong flavour for you, you could add some finely chopped shallot instead.