This is how you make a chicken breast more exciting - Pizza Topped Chicken! A low carb and high protein alternative to pizza that the whole family will love.
About this Pizza Chicken Recipe
Chicken breasts topped with marinara, cheese and vegetables is a lighter alternative to pizza, but still with all the flavour.
I think that most of us can agree that the best part of a pizza is the toppings, so why not use a chicken breast instead of a pizza base for a lighter twist on pizza night. Pizza chicken is an easy 5 ingredient meal that the whole family will love and ready in just 40 minutes.
There is so much that you can do with chicken breasts and they make a relatively cheap and healthy addition to any meal. It can be easy to get in to a rut with cooking them the same way, so why not try these pizza chicken breasts. Chicken breasts loaded with delicious pizza toppings for healthy comfort food at its finest. Kids can get involved with making their own too.
Pizza topped chicken ingredients and substitutions
- Chicken breast - Try to use chicken breasts of similar sizes. We didn't and it made portioning this out a bit difficult and they will cook at different times.
- Passata - A good quality passata is a must as cheaper ones can be a bit watery. If you don't have passata, tomato puree will work. You could use our Homemade Pizza Sauce too.
- Spinach - For a nice green boost. You could use kale instead.
- Olives - These add a nice bit of saltiness.
- Mozzarella - Or any good melting cheese will work. Gouda, Provolone and Gruyere all work well.
- Garlic, Oregano, Salt and Pepper - Gives the sauce an authentic Italian flavour.
A full ingredients list with measurements is in the recipe card below.
How to make pizza topped chicken - Step by step
Prep: Preheat your oven to 200°C/180°C(fan)/400°F/Gas 6.
One: Using a meat tenderiser or heavy rolling pin, flatten the chicken breasts so each one is equal thickness throughout.
Two: Mix together the passata, chopped spinach, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper.
Three: Spread the sauce over the chicken breasts and top with sliced olives.
Four: Cover with grated mozzarella.
Five: Cook in your preheated oven for 30 minutes.
Six: Serve immediately
The best thing about anything pizza related is that there are so many topping options. Whatever you would put on a pizza, you can put on these pizza chicken breasts.
The key is not to add too many, as you don't want them all to fall off. We kept it simple with cheese, spinach and olives, however here are some of our favourites:
- Sun-dried tomatoes
- Bell peppers
What to serve with pizza topped chicken
The real question is what can't you serve this with? There are so many side dishes that go with pizza, and this chicken breast pizza is no different.
No, there is no need to cook the chicken before putting the toppings on. Everything will all cook at the same time.
If you have leftovers of this then you can store it in an air tight container for 2 days. We love using leftovers sliced up and mixed in to cooked pasta.
Yes, you can make a dairy free version of this by either leaving the cheese off it or using your favourite dairy free cheese alternative.
You are best to get a meat thermometer to check that you chicken is cooked all the way though. Chicken should be cooked to a temperature of 75°C/165°F. If you don't have a meat thermometer, then cut a bit of the chicken open and it should be white with no pink bits.
More chicken recipes
Pizza Topped Chicken
- 400 g (14 oz) Chicken breast
- 4 tablespoon Passata
- 30 g (1 cups) Spinach - chopped
- 30 g (0.25 cups) Mozzarella - grated
- 0.5 teaspoon Garlic granules
- 1 pinch Sea salt and black pepper
- 0.5 teaspoon Dried oregano
- 25 g (0.25 cups) Green olives - sliced
- Preheat your oven to 200°C/180°C(fan)/400°F/Gas 6.
- Using a meat tenderiser or heavy rolling pin, flatten 400 g Chicken breast so each one is equal thickness throughout.
- Mix together 4 tablespoon Passata, 30 g Spinach, 0.5 teaspoon Garlic granules, 0.5 teaspoon Dried oregano and 1 pinch Sea salt and black pepper.
- Spread the sauce over the chicken breasts and top with 25 g Green olives.
- Cover with 30 g Mozzarella.
- Cook in the oven for 30 minutes.
- A different twist on this recipe would be to cut a slit in the chicken breast and stuff it with the toppings and then add the sauce and cheese on top.
- For extra flavour, sprinkle them with chopped fresh basil before serving.
The nutritional information provided is approximate and is calculated using online tools. Information can vary depending on various factors, but we have endeavoured to be as accurate as possible.