Chicken breasts topped with marinara, cheese and vegetarian is a low carb and high protein alternative to pizza. I think that most of us can agree that the best part of a pizza is the toppings, so why not use a chicken breast instead of a pizza base for a lighter twist on pizza night. Pizza chicken breasts are an easy 5 ingredient meal that the whole family will love and ready in just 40 minutes.
There is so much that you can do with chicken breasts and they make a relatively cheap and healthy addition to any meal. It can be easy to get in to a rut with cooking them the same way, so why not try these pizza chicken breasts. Chicken breasts loaded with delicious pizza toppings for healthy comfort food at its finest.
Why should you try it?
- A low carb alternative to pizza
- Protein packed
- Easy to adapt with all your favourite pizza toppings
- Kids love them
- Chicken breast - Try to use chicken breasts of similar sizes. We didn't and it made portioning this out a bit difficult and they will cook at different times.
- Passata - A good quality passata is a must as cheaper ones can be a bit watery. If you don't have passata, tomato puree will work.
- Spinach - For a nice green boost. You could use kale instead.
- Olives - These add a nice bit of saltiness.
- Mozzarella - Or any good melting cheese will work. Gouda, Provolone and Gruyere all work well.
- Garlic, Oregano, Salt and Pepper - Gives the sauce an authentic Italian flavour.
A full ingredients list with measurements is in the recipe card below.
Step by step
One: Preheat your oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6. Using a meat tenderiser or heavy rolling pin, flatten the chicken breasts so each one is equal thickness throughout.
Two: Mix together the passata, chopped spinach, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper.
Three: Spread the sauce over the chicken breasts and top with sliced olives.
Four: Cover with grated mozzarella.
Five: Cook in your preheated oven for 30 minutes.
You have a few options when it comes to the pizza sauce. Use used passata and then mixed in some garlic and dried herbs in to it for an easy sauce. However you could use our Easy Pizza Sauce.
Fancy something a bit difference? You could use our Healthy BBQ Sauce instead of a more traditional pizza sauce.
The best thing about anything pizza related is that there are so many topping options. Whatever you would put on a pizza, you can put on these pizza chicken breasts. The key is not to add too many, as you don't want them all to fall off. We kept it simple with cheese, spinach and olives, however here are some of our favourites:
- Sun-dried tomatoes
- Bell peppers
What to serve this with
The real question is what can't you serve this with? There are so many side dishes that go with pizza, and these pizza chicken breasts are no different. Keep it light and serve it with a big green salad or load it up with carbs, seeing as the chicken itself is low in carbs. Here are some of our favourite side dishes that go perfectly with this:
- Easy Roast Potatoes
- Roasted Lemon Asparagus
- No Mayo Coleslaw
- Easy Cheesy Potato Bake
- Spanish Rice
- Baked Polenta Fries
- Greek Potatoes
- Roasted Cherry Tomatoes
- Parmesan Roasted Potatoes
No, there is no need to cook the chicken before putting the toppings on. Everything will all cook at the same time.
If you have leftovers of this then you can store it in an air tight container for 2 days. We love using leftovers sliced up and mixed in to cooked pasta.
Yes, you can make a dairy free version of this by either leaving the cheese off it or using your favourite dairy free cheese alternative.
• A different twist on this recipe would be to cut a slit in the chicken breast and stuff it with the toppings and then add the sauce and cheese on top.
• For extra flavour, sprinkle them with chopped fresh basil before serving.
More chicken recipes
Pizza Chicken Breasts
- 400 g Chicken breast
- 4 tablespoon Passata
- 30 g Spinach - chopped
- 30 g Mozzarella - grated
- 0.5 teaspoon Garlic granules
- 1 pinch Sea salt and black pepper
- 0.5 teaspoon Dried oregano
- 25 g Green olives - sliced
- Preheat your oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6.
- Using a meat tenderiser or heavy rolling pin, flatten the chicken breasts so each one is equal thickness throughout.
- Mix together the passata, chopped spinach, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Spread the sauce over the chicken breasts and top with sliced olives.
- Cover with grated mozzarella.
- Cook in your preheated oven for 30 minutes.
- A different twist on this recipe would be to cut a slit in the chicken breast and stuff it with the toppings and then add the sauce and cheese on top.
- For extra flavour, sprinkle them with chopped fresh basil before serving.