Melt in your mouth shredded beef in a chipotle sauce, loaded in to soft tacos shells with crunchy slaw and topped with a tomato and avocado salsa. These Shredded Beef Tacos are great for feeding a crowd and easy to adapt. The beef is done in slow cooker, so these are simple, but delicious tacos.
We can never have enough taco recipes in our life, but this one is a favourite. The slow cooked shredded beef is so tender, with just the right amount of spice and smokiness. Combined with the crunch of the slaw and some creamy avocado, it is pretty much taco perfection. A great way to use your slow cooker in the summer.
Why you will love it
- Great for feeding a crowd
- Easy to adapt
- A simple slow cooker meal
- Tender, melt in your mouth beef
- Beef freezes really well
- Slow cooker shredded beef
- Warmed mini soft tortillas
- Shredded iceberg lettuce
- Tomato and avocado salsa
Step by Step
One: Follow the instructions of the slow cooker pulled beef recipe. This will take either 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low.
Two: Separate the flour tortillas and add the slaw and shredded lettuce.
Three: In a bowl, mix together the tomato, avocado, lime juice and coriander.
Four: Top with shredded beef and tomato and avocado salsa. Serve with tortilla chips and salsa.
The shredded beef really is the star of these tacos. Chunks of braising steak in a simple smokey and spicy chipotle sauce, slow cooked to perfection. This dump and leave slow cooker recipe makes tender, melt in your mouth beef that is perfect on tacos.
If you have any of the beef left over, then it is great on a burrito bowl, in a roll with slaw or just served on top of Cilantro and Lime Rice for a simple meal.
What to top tacos with
We topped our tacos with a simple tomato and avocado salsa. It is basically just diced tomatoes (really ripe and juicy) and chunks of avocado mixed with lime juice and coriander (cilantro) and seasoned.
You have a few other options when it comes to salsa though. You could keep it more traditional with a Restaurant Style Salsa, or you could go with something a little different like our Sweetcorn Salsa or Pineapple Salsa.
If you want to finish the shredded beef tacos off with something a little extra, then a drizzle of sour cream or a creamy chipotle sauce would go down really well. You don't really need a sauce with it though, as the beef is really juicy. Or, if you like things really spicy then, why not try some of our Jalapeno Sauce.
We sometimes like to crumble some feta on top for extra creaminess. If you want to keep it more traditional, then crumble some queso fresco on top.
Not enough avocado in this recipe for you? Why not try topping it with our Best Ever Guacamole!
It's best to plate these tacos up fresh and eat them straight away. However, there are some things you can do in advance. As the beef if slow cooked, that can be done 8 hours in advance. The shredded beef is a really forgiving recipe too, so once the 8 hours (or 4 i cooking on high) is up, it doesn't matter if you leave it in the for 30 minutes to an hour longer, as you really can't ruin it.
You could also make up the slaw and tomato and avocado salsa in advance and then keep them in the fridge. Then when you are ready to eat, you can make the tacos up fresh.
If you already have the shredded beef cooked, then these tacos can be on the table in just 10 minutes.
The slaw and salsa will be good in the fridge for a day if you have any leftovers. The beef can be kept in the fridge for 2-3 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months. If you want to reheat the beef, the best way to do that is by adding a little oil to a frying pan and then heating it through.
• Assemble the shredded beef tacos just before you are going to serve them, otherwise the tortillas can go soggy.
• Any leftovers of the beef are delicious on rice in a burrito bowl.
• Make sure you us really ripe and juicy tomatoes for the salsa.
More taco recipes
If you’ve tried this beef tacos recipe, let us know how you got on in the comments below.
Tag us in your creations on Instagram @hungryhealthyhappy - Use the hashtag #hungryhealthyhappy too.
Easy Shredded Beef Tacos
- 16 Mini flour tortillas
- 1 portion Slow Cooker Pulled Beef
- 250 g (3.5 cups) Mexican Coleslaw
- 150 g (2 cups) Iceberg lettuce - shredded
- 3 Plum tomatoes - diced
- 1 Avocado - diced
- 1 Lime - juice only
- 10 g (0.66 cups) Fresh coriander (cilantro) - finely chopped
- 1 pinch Sea salt and black pepper
- Follow the instructions of the slow cooker pulled beef recipe. This will take either 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low.
- Separate the flour tortillas and add the slaw and shredded lettuce.
- In a bowl, mix together the tomato, avocado, lime juice and coriander.
- Top with shredded beef and tomato and avocado salsa. Serve with tortilla chips and salsa.
- Assemble the tacos just before you are going to serve them, otherwise the tortillas can go soggy.
- Any leftovers of the beef are delicious on rice in a burrito bowl.
- Make sure you us really ripe and juicy tomatoes for the salsa.
Yummy! Love tacos and your addition of shredded beef sounds amazing. Easy to make, this is the perfect quick family recipe.
This recipe is so easy to follow. It's a very comforting family meal! Yum!