Air Fryer Mushrooms are one of the best and easiest side dishes. Perfectly cooked mushrooms with a hint of rosemary. Air frying mushrooms gives them the best texture that even mushroom critics will love.
If you love mushrooms, then you are going to love cooking mushrooms in the air fryer. So juicy and with the best texture, this is a great way to get more use out of your air fryer and have a delicious vegetarian side dish.
Why you will love them
- Low calorie side dish - These air fryer mushrooms are low calorie way to bulk out a meal. They are low carb too.
- A new way to eat mushrooms - If you are not sure what to do with mushrooms, then this is an easy mushroom recipe to try.
- Versatile - We usually serve these as a side dish, but there are plenty of ways to make it part of a main meal like creamy mushroom pasta or mushroom tacos.
- Adaptable - There are only a few ingredients that go into this air fryer mushroom recipe, but we have given some ideas on how to adapt it below.
Ingredients and substitutions
- Mushrooms - The star of the dish. We used white mushrooms, but you could also use a mixture of mushrooms like oyster, shiitake and chestnut, as it gives it a lovely mixture of textures. You could use any mushrooms you like - we really like baby portobello mushrooms.
- Oil - We used a good quality olive oil. Don't use extra virgin though as it has a low smoke point and you will have a smoky air fryer.
- Worcestershire sauce - We love the flavour this gives. Remember to use a vegetarian version if you want this air fryer mushroom recipe to be vegetarian. You could swap it for balsamic vinegar or soy sauce if you prefer.
- Rosemary - This goes so well with mushrooms. You can use thyme instead.
- Salt and pepper - Generously season.
A full ingredients list with measurements is in the recipe card below.
How to make air fryer mushrooms - Step by step
One: Halve the mushrooms and put them into a bowl.
Two: Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
Three: Cook in the air fryer at 180°C for 10 minutes.
Health Benefits of Mushrooms
Mushrooms are a good source of vitamin D, and are actually one of the only non-animal sources of the vitamin. Whether grown inside or outside, they are exposed to UV light which increases their concentration of vitamin D.
Mushrooms and garlic are the perfect combination. We usually go crazy with garlic, so we have even surprised ourselves that it isn't included in this recipe. If you are a garlic lover, then feel free to crush a couple of garlic cloves into this mixture.
We used rosemary, as the woody herb goes really well with the earthiness of mushrooms. Fresh thyme would also work well and you can use dried herbs if that is all you have.
If you want to make these air fryer mushrooms a little more indulgent, then you could sprinkle them with some freshly grated Parmesan before serving.
Instead of Worcestershire sauce, you could use balsamic vinegar on these air fried mushrooms, which would give a bit of a sweeter flavour.
If you wanted to roast the mushrooms, then try our Garlic and Herb Roasted Mushrooms recipe.
What to serve with Air Fryer Mushrooms
If you want to make these the star of the meal, then you can serve them with our Creamy Mashed Potatoes or on top of your favourite cooked pasta. The sauce that is left in the pan is amazing stirred into pasta. Why not try these air fried mushrooms on our Cream Cheese Pasta?
Sometimes we serve these are a starter with some strong soft cheeses and chunks of warm French bread. There is never any left over, as it's always a hit.
Frequently Asked Questions
You should just be able to give them a quick rinse and then use a paper towel to wipe away any dirt on the mushrooms. You don't want to put too much water on them though, as they will soak it up and you will have a lot of liquid in the pan. If there is a lot of dirt on the mushrooms, then you could peel them.
Air fryer mushrooms can be stored in the fridge, covered up, for a day or two - but they are best eaten freshly cooked. We wouldn't recommend freezing mushrooms, as the texture isn't the same once defrosted.
We can't rate highly enough the Power Air Fryer XL. The 5 litre capacity is big enough for cooking for the whole family and it can fry, grill, bake, sauté, roast and steam. There are simple touch screen controls and it heats up quickly and can cook your food up to 70% faster than a conventional oven. Also, it's dishwasher safe.
• Cut the mushrooms to even sizes so that they all cook at the same rate.
• Remember that mushrooms shrink when cooking, so although it looks like a lot of mushrooms in the pan, they won't be the same size when cooked.
• You can make these in advance and keep them in the fridge for a day, however fresh is best.
• All air fryers cook at different rates and larger air fryers will cook them quicker. So you will need to check on the mushrooms after 10 minutes.
• For best results, cook them in a single layer at a time. You need to allow air to circulate to get the best texture of the mushrooms.
• Don't forget to shake the mushrooms half way through, so that they are evenly cooked.
More air fryer side dish recipes
Air Fryer Mushrooms
- 400 g Mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 sprig Fresh rosemary
- 1 pinch Sea salt and black pepper
- Halve the mushrooms and put them into a bowl.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
- Cook in the air fryer at 180°C for 10 minutes.
- Cut the mushrooms to even sizes so that they all cook at the same rate.
- Remember that mushrooms shrink when cooking, so although it looks like a lot of mushrooms in the pan, they won't be the same size when cooked.
- You can make these in advance and keep them in the fridge for a day, however fresh is best.
- All air fryers cook at different rates and larger air fryers will cook them quicker. So you will need to check on the mushrooms after 10 minutes.
- For best results, cook them in a single layer at a time. You need to allow air to circulate to get the best texture of the mushrooms.
- Don't forget to shake the mushrooms half way through, so that they are evenly cooked.