What better way to start the day during the festive season than with a Christmas Spiced Cranberry Smoothie? A nutrient dense and vibrant smoothie, it is bursting with cinnamon and ginger to give it that festive edge. The perfect winter smoothie and a delicious way to use cranberries.
About this cranberry smoothie recipe
If there is one ingredient that screams Christmas, it's cranberries. Make a sauce with them, put them in some porridge, add them to salads, it's all good.
But they are also delicious in a winter smoothie and just look at the colour they give it! A smoothie with cranberries is the only way to go at Christmas time.
Usually cranberries are used in a juice as a cocktail mixer in our house, which is still very much a favourite use, but there is so much more you can do with them.
We would usually add milk to a smoothie, but seeing as we were going with a festive twist, we thought we would make a cranberry juice smoothie, which gives it even more of a cranberry boost!
There are only 169 calories per serving in this cranberry smoothie, making it a delicious low calorie smoothie option.
Also, have a look at our collection of 25 of the best Christmas Drinks.
Ingredients and substitutions
- Cranberries - Fresh cranberries add lots of colour and flavour to this smoothie. You can only usually find them in stores during the Christmas season, so frozen cranberries can be used the rest of the year.
- Cranberry juice - Instead of using milk or water like we would other smoothies, we have used cranberry juice to give it an extra cranberry boost.
- Bananas - This helps to thicken the cranberry smoothie up. The cranberries have a strong flavour, so you won't taste too much banana in this. You could use frozen bananas to make it thicker and colder.
- Strawberries - An easy way to add more fruit, and also add to the vibrant flavour.
- Cinnamon and Ginger - This is where all the festive flavour comes from. Adjust to suit your own tastes.
A full ingredients list with measurements is in the recipe card below.
The great thing about smoothies is that they are so easy to adapt with different fruits and various add-ins. Here are some of our favourite ways to mix it up:
- Protein Powder - Give this cranberry smoothie a protein boost with a scoop of your favourite protein powder. If you can get a cranberry protein powder then even better.
- Ginger - Winter is full of bugs, so why not try to keep your immune system topped up by adding some grated fresh ginger to the smoothie.
- Orange - Cranberry and orange go so well together. A little squeeze of fresh orange juice goes really well.
- Smoothie bowl - Turn this into a festive smoothie bowl by making it a little thicker, putting it in a bowl and then loading it with toppings.
We love smoothies for breakfast or snack, however we don't find them filling enough for a full meal. If you are having one for breakfast, here are some of our favourite dishes to serve it alongside:
- Porridge Fingers
- Banana Porridge
- Mexican Beans on Toast
- No Bake Granola Bars
- Feta and Asparagus Frittata
- Smashed Avocado on Toast
Frequently asked questions
This is such a quick and easy recipe, so it's always best to make it fresh. However, if you have made too much or you want to make it ready for an easy breakfast the next day, then you can store it in the fridge. It will be fine for 24 hours - just make sure to give it a really good stir before serving.
If you want to mix this up a little, then you could swap the cranberries for cherries and then add some cocoa powder too for a chocolate cherry smoothie. YUM!
This is a naturally vegan smoothie. Just make sure to use maple syrup instead of honey if you want to sweeten it.
Yes, you can use frozen cranberries to make this. Perfect for the summer months.
Frozen banana and cranberries add lots of natural sweetness to a smoothie, however you could add a little bit extra with some maple syrup. You could swap this for honey, or your favourite liquid sweetener.
If you don't like sweet smoothies, that you could easily leave it out and just have the sweetness from the fruit.
More smoothie recipes
- 1 (1) Banana
- 20 Fresh cranberries
- 6 Strawberries
- 400 ml (1.75 cups) Cranberry Juice
- 0.5 teaspoon Cinnamon - ground
- 0.5 teaspoon Fresh ginger - ground
- Put all ingredients in a blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- You can make this a super cooling smoothie by using frozen cranberries instead.
- Add a little extra sweetness by adding a little honey or maple syrup if you want it to be vegan.
- Too much cranberry for you? Swap the cranberry juice for milk or water and just use fresh cranberries.
The nutritional information provided is approximate and is calculated using online tools. Information can vary depending on various factors, but we have endeavoured to be as accurate as possible.