Healthy Frozen Yogurt (or frozen yoghurt) is so easy to make at home, no ice cream machine needed, and it takes just 5 minutes. All you need is some frozen fruit, Greek yogurt and sweetener and then blend it all together for a delicious summer frozen treat that is really easy to customise.
Frozen Yogurt has taken the UK by storm over recent years, whilst over the pond in the US they have been enjoying the wonders of it for many years.
Whilst the froyo stores and options in the supermarkets are still fairly limited, it's so easy to make yourself and all you need is 4 ingredients, with the option to add lots more to mix things up each time.
You can customise it every time and have a totally different flavour. Read on to see how to make frozen yogurt.
Why you will love it
- Quick - This frozen yogurt is ready in just 5 minutes
- Kids will love making it - This frozen yogurt recipe is so easy to make, and kids will love seeing it all come together and then adding their toppings.
- Lower in sugar than store bought - We only added a little maple syrup, as most of the sweetness comes from the berries and banana.
- Easy to adapt with different flavour combos - Different frozen fruit will give you different flavours every time.
Ingredients and substitutions
- Yogurt - We used plain Greek yogurt. Go for full fat is you want a really creamy flavour. But you can use reduced fat if you want it to be lower in calories.
- Berries - Frozen berries are key here, as that what making everything deliciously cold. We used a bag of mixed summer fruits, but any frozen berries will work, so choose your favourites.
- Banana - Again, you want to use a frozen banana for this to work. We always keep bananas in our freezer for smoothies and Nice Cream. You can leave the banana out, but we find it helps with the creaminess.
- Sweetener - You need to use a liquid sweetener for frozen yogurt. We used maple syrup, but honey works well too.
A full ingredients list with measurements is in the recipe card below.
How to make frozen yogurt - Step by step
One: Chop the bananas and freeze them for at least 4 hours.
Two: Put the frozen bananas, yogurt, maple syrup and frozen berries into a food processor.
Three: Blend until smooth.
You can use any frozen fruit you like to make this healthy frozen yogurt. We always keep the frozen banana with the yogurt and sweetener, however the extra added fruit can be changed every time. This time we used mixed berries, but you could use pineapple and mango for a tropical twist or even orange and lemon for a citrus vibe.
It doesn't have to all be about the fruit though. Stick with the banana, yogurt and sweetener and then add some peanut butter and dark chocolate chips for something that tastes far more indulgent than it actually is. You could add some mint extract and chocolate chips for your own mint choc chip alternative.
Frozen yogurt toppings
Ice cream and Frozen Yogurt is all about the toppings I think - they really take this dessert to the next level. You could serve this in a bowl with some extra fresh fruit on top, or sprinkle some nuts and chocolate chips over it.
It doesn't have to be served in a bowl though, as you can scoop this in to some cones, which kids would love.
Why stop at bowls and cones - make this into Frozen Yogurt Popsicles! All you need to do is pour the mixture in to popsicle moulds and pop them in the freezer until they are set. That will save you a fortune in the summer when the kids are always asking for ice cream.
No, you don't have to use banana and you could just use frozen berries, yogurt and sweetener. However, we find that the banana makes it nice and thick and doesn't give it an overpowering banana flavour with the rest of the ingredients.
You can either eat straight away, and it will be like a soft serve, or you can pour it in to a freezer container and keep it in the freezer and it will keep for 2 weeks. You would need to let it soften a little before serving, but it would mean it's more scoopable and better for putting in to cones.
You can make a vegan version of this by using a plant based yogurt.
This is healthier than store bought yoghurt because it uses plain yoghurt, fruit and pure maple syrup. Branded frozen yoghurt has so many extra ingredients added.
• You can make any flavour you like with this. Keep the banana, yogurt and sweetener and then get creative with the rest of the ingredients. Go with frozen pineapple and mango for a tropical twist.
• Love mint choc chip ice cream? Make a healthier alternative by skipping the berries and adding mint extract and dark chocolate chips.
• You can make this in to popsicles by pouring the mixture in to popsicle moulds and freezing.
• If you are not eating this straight away (it will be soft serve consistency), you can store in a freezer container. Just let it soften a little and then run an ice cream scoop under hot water and then scoop it out.
• You can make this as sweet as you like by adjusting the amount of sweetener used.
More dessert recipes
If you’ve tried this homemade frozen yogurt, then let us know how you got on in the comments below.
Tag us in your creations on Instagram @hungryhealthyhappy - You can use the hashtag #hungryhealthyhappy too.
Easy 5 Minute Healthy Frozen Yogurt
- 250 g Greek yogurt
- 150 g Frozen berries
- 2 Bananas
- 2 tablespoon Maple syrup
- Chop the bananas and freeze them for at least 4 hours.2 Bananas
- Put the frozen bananas, yogurt, maple syrup and frozen berries into a food processor.250 g Greek yogurt, 2 Bananas, 2 tablespoon Maple syrup, 150 g Frozen berries
- Blend until smooth.
- You can make any flavour you like with this. Keep the banana, yogurt and sweetener and then get creative with the rest of the ingredients. Go with frozen pineapple and mango for a tropical twist.
- Love mint choc chip ice cream? Make a healthier alternative by skipping the berries and adding mint extract and dark chocolate chips.
- You can make this in to popsicles by pouring the mixture in to popsicle moulds and freezing.
- If you are not eating this straight away (it will be soft serve consistency), you can store in a freezer container. Just let it soften a little and then run an ice cream scoop under hot water and then scoop it out.
- You can make this as sweet as you like by adjusting the amount of sweetener used.