Did you know that you can make amazing nachos in the the air fryer? A family favourite meal or snack, using the air fryer is a quick and easy way to make cheesy nachos in just 5 minutes. Once you have made Air Fryer Nachos, you will never make them another way again.
About these air fryer nachos
If you have wondered if you can air fry nachos, the answer is yes! Crispy tortilla chips loaded with cheese and all your other favourite nacho toppings and cooked until delicious melty comfort food.
These air fryer nachos are pretty life changing! No preheating of the air fryer needed and ready in just 5 minutes. Nachos in air fryer is much quicker than using the oven and you get better results than using the microwave.
Ingredients and substitutions
- Tortilla Chips - Tortilla chips come in all kinds of shapes, sizes, flavour and colour, so use whatever you like. You could even make your own with our Baked Tortilla Chips or Air Fryer Tortilla Chips recipe.
- Cheese - We used shredded cheddar, but Monterey Jack works too. Make sure to shred your own cheese, rather than buying bags of it already shredded. This is because the bags of it are coated in an anti-caking ingredient to stop it all sticking together in the bag, but it also stops it from melting properly too.
- Tomatoes - We used fresh tomatoes instead of a salsa, as that makes it too soggy.
- Avocado - A must on top of nachos. You could make Guacamole to add instead.
- Jalapeños - If you like nachos spicy, then don't give these a miss.
- Spring onions (scallions) - These add a nice extra crunch.
- Coriander (cilantro) - I know it's a love it or hate it thing, but this adds a nice freshness to nachos.
A full ingredients list with measurements is in the recipe card below.
How to make air fryer nachos - Step by step
Prep: Line your air fryer basket with baking (parchment) paper.
One: Add the tortilla chips, cheese, jalapenos and spring onions to the air fryer in two layers.
Two: Cook at 180°C for 3-5 minutes.
Three: Carefully remove the nachos from the air fryer and top with tomatoes, avocado, salsa, sour cream and chopped coriander (cilantro).
The great thing about nachos is how adaptable they are. Once you have the tortilla chips and cheese, there are so many different things that you can add.
To keep it vegetarian, but still make it more filling, you could add some black beans. Leftovers of our Chipotle Black Bean Stew would work well.
We haven't added any salsa to these nachos, instead it is just a base of cheese and fresh tomatoes. But if you wanted to, you could add some of our Salsa Picante. This would make the air fryer nachos a little more soggy though.
What to serve with air fryer nachos
These air fryer nachos are a filling meal or snack in themselves, depending on how many people you are sharing them with. However, if you wanted to serve them as part of a bigger Mexican feast, then here are some of our favourite recipes to serve them with.
Frequently Asked Questions
These need to be served immediately whilst the nachos are still crunchy. Nobody needs soggy nachos in their life.
Most tortilla chips are gluten free, so as long as you make sure there is no cross contamination, then these air fryer nachos can be gluten free.
These only take about 3-4 minutes to cook, as you just need to melt the cheese. However, every air fryer heats differently, so check them after a couple of minutes to make sure they are not burning.
We think it is cheddar. It melts well, but isn't too melty and it has a nice strong flavour.
Yes, you can use foil instead. Make sure it comes up the side of the air fryer, as this makes the "bowl" and makes it easier to remove the nachos.
More nacho recipes
Air Fryer Nachos
- 180 g (6.5 oz) Tortilla chips
- 140 g (5 oz) Cheddar cheese - grated
- 2 Spring onions (Scallions) - sliced
- 8 Cherry tomatoes - diced
- 0.5 Avocado - diced
- 25 g (0.25 cups) Jalapenos - diced
- 5 g (0.33 cups) Fresh coriander (cilantro) - finely chopped
- Salsa - (optional)
- Sour cream - (optional)
- Line your air fryer basket with baking (parchment) paper.
- Add 180 g Tortilla chips, 140 g Cheddar cheese, 25 g Jalapenos and 2 Spring onions (Scallions) to the air fryer in two layers.
- Cook at 180°C for 3-5 minutes.
- Carefully remove the nachos from the air fryer and top with 8 Cherry tomatoes, 0.5 Avocado, Salsa, Sour cream and 5 g Fresh coriander (cilantro).
- Although not traditionally Mexican, some sliced olives are delicious on top of nachos.
- The type of tortilla chips you choose are important. Go for the best quality you can, and the thicker ones that will hold up with the layering.
- But sure to layer and overlap the tortilla chips, so the cheese doesn't all drip through. You don't want wasted cheese.
- Be really careful when removing the nachos from the air fryer. Remove them by holding onto the sides of the baking paper and then it can be served on the paper.
- Add a squeeze of fresh lime juice before serving to really freshen it all up.
- Avoid overcrowding the air fryer, as you need to let air circulate.
The nutritional information provided is approximate and is calculated using online tools. Information can vary depending on various factors, but we have endeavoured to be as accurate as possible.