This creamy and delicious Banana Milkshake is the perfect way to cool down on a hot day. Sweet bananas are blended with milk and ice cream for an indulgent treat that kids will love! A great way to use up bananas too, it's a sweet fix that is also one of your five a day.
You can't beat a homemade milkshake. It's thick and creamy and there are so many different flavour options - but this banana milkshake might be one of our favourites. It's indulgent, but refreshing at the same time. Just 4 ingredients are needed and it's ready in only a couple of minutes.
Why you will love it
- A great way to use up bananas - If you have some bananas going a little bit brown, then this is a great way to use them up so nothing goes to waste. The more ripe they are, the sweeter the milkshake will be.
- Quick and easy - This takes just a couple of minutes to make. It's as easy as putting everything in the blender and blending it until smooth.
- Delicious summer time treat - There is no better way to cool down. You can even make lollies (popsicles) out of it.
- Adaptable - Feel free to add other fruit to change it up, so you can have it a different way every time.
- Bananas - The key to this being the best and sweetest milkshake is to use a ripe banana. We don't mean a black banana (although you could), but one that is starting to get spots on it. This will add lots of extra sweetness that you won't get from an under-ripe banana. You can use frozen bananas if you want a thicker shake.
- Milk - We used skimmed milk to keep the milkshake lighter, however you could use whole milk which would make it much creamier and more indulgent. Try it with our Almond Milk or Oat Milk.
- Vanilla ice cream - Although the banana gives the flavour, all the creaminess comes from the ice cream, so try to use the best quality one you can as you will be able to taste the difference. We like to go for one that has specks of vanilla in it for maximum flavour. But you could use a cheap vanilla ice cream if you wanted to make this budget friendly.
- Cinnamon - This adds a lovely warmth to the banana milkshake. It can be left out if you prefer.
A full ingredients list with measurements is in the recipe card below.
How to make banana milkshake - Step by step
One: Add the milk and banana to a blender jug.
Two: Add the ice cream and cinnamon.
Three: Blend until smooth.
Four: Top with cream and caramel sauce (optional).
Health benefits of bananas
Bananas are a great source of potassium, vitamin B6, fibre and carbohydrate, and some vitamin C too. They do have a lower water content than most fruit, so bananas typically have more calories as well as a higher sugar content compared to other non-tropical fruits.
Bananas are full of potassium, which is one of the most important electrolytes in the body, helping to regulate heart function as well as fluid balance. It is a key factor in regulating blood pressure.
We added a little cinnamon to ours, although you don't have to. You could swap it for ginger or nutmeg or add a drop of vanilla extract for some warmth. If you are using really ripe bananas, then it will have a strong banana flavour. However, the cinnamon will really compliment it.
If you want your milkshake sweeter, then a splash of maple syrup or honey will do that. If you wanted to add some chocolate flavour to this banana milkshake, then use a chocolate ice cream, or add some cocoa powder before blending. We love peanut butter and banana, so that would be another delicious addition. Why not try our Homemade Peanut Butter Recipe?
You could add other fruit like strawberries, raspberries or blueberries to make this a mixed fruit milkshake. You could also add a shot of coffee to make a coffee banana milkshake. It's like an epic iced coffee.
To lighten up this banana milkshake, you could use a low fat ice cream, or even frozen yogurt instead of the vanilla ice cream. The banana gives most of the sweetness, so don't worry about it not being sweet enough.
You could leave the ice cream out completely and just have bananas and milk, but it wouldn't be very thick and creamy. If you do this, then blend some ice cubes with it to keep it nice and cold.
What to serve with a banana milkshake
We think this is pretty perfect on it's own, however if you wanted to serve it with another sweet treat, then we have lots of delicious options for you. Why not try one of these:
- Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies
- Apple Turnovers
- Cinnamon Swirls
- Chocolate Flapjacks
- Orange Drizzle Cake
- Almond Butter Cookies
- White Chocolate and Raspberry Muffins
We have also added some squirty cream , banana slices and caramel sauce on top to make it look extra special.
This is best drank straight away, so try to only make it right before you want to use it. But luckily it only takes a couple of minutes to make, so just make sure to only make as much as you need so there are no leftovers.
However, if you do have some leftover, then you can store it in the fridge. You could also make the milkshake lollies we have mentioned in the FAQs below.
Frequently Asked Questions
Homemade banana milkshakes are a good source of potassium, magnesium, fibre and vitamin C, however because of the ice cream this is high in fat and sugar. If you wanted a healthier version of this, then try our Banana Milk Recipe.
There are 347 calories in this banana milkshake.
You can just leave the ice cream out if you want, but it won't be very thick. You could also swap it for frozen yogurt if you wanted to make it lighter.
If you use a vegan milk and ice cream, then this can be vegan.
Yes, as long as you make sure there is no cross contamination, then this can be gluten free.
Pour this mixture in to your favourite lolly moulds and then pop in the freezer for a few hours. It's a great for a summer treat.
We use either a jug or stick blender to make this, however you can make it without a blender if you don't have one. First you need to soften the ice cream in the microwave for 15 seconds. Then mash up the banana until it is more like a puree. Add the banana and ice cream in to a jar with a lid, add the milk and cinnamon and then put the lid on and shake very very quickly until everything is mixed together and you have a milkshake. Use a blender for best results. We recommend the NutriBullet blender.
More drink recipes
If you’ve tried this Banana Milkshake recipe, then let us know how you got on in the comments below.
Tag us in your creations on Instagram @hungryhealthyhappy - You can use the hashtag #hungryhealthyhappy too.
Easy Banana Milkshake
- 2 Banana
- 150 g (1.25 cups) Vanilla ice cream
- 500 ml (2 cups) Skimmed milk
- 0.5 teaspoon Ground cinnamon
- Add 500 ml Skimmed milk and 2 Banana to a blender jug.
- Add 150 g Vanilla ice cream and 0.5 teaspoon Ground cinnamon.
- Blend until smooth.
- Top with cream and caramel sauce (optional).
- If your bananas are not very ripe, then a little honey or maple syrup will help to sweeten it. If you use really ripe bananas, then you shouldn't need to add any extra sweetener to it.
- If you want really cold milkshake, then you can use slices of frozen banana. make sure you use a high powered blender, as it will be harder to blend them when they are frozen. You could always add a couple of ice cubes to make it cold too.
- We used cinnamon to add a little extra flavour, however you could swap it for ginger or nutmeg.
- Put your milkshake glasses in the freezer for 5 minutes before pouring the banana milkshake in. This will help to keep the shake cooler for longer.
The nutritional information provided is approximate and is calculated using online tools. Information can vary depending on various factors, but we have endeavoured to be as accurate as possible.