A super thick and luxurious vegan hot chocolate made with oat milk. This Oat Milk Hot Chocolate tastes so indulgent, and it's also really simple to make with just 5 ingredients. Ready in just 6 minutes, it's a warming hot drink for a cold day, and dairy free too.
If you are looking for a vegan hot chocolate with plenty of flavour, then this oat milk hot chocolate is it. Make with our homemade oat milk (or your favourite store bought), some cocoa, chocolate, liquid sweetener and vanilla, it couldn't be easier. A delicious vegan indulgent treat.
There is no better way to end your day than with a creamy hot chocolate. If you are looking for some other hot chocolate recipes, then why not try our Microwave Hot Chocolate, Easy Hot Chocolate Spoons, Slow Cooker Hot Chocolate, Baileys Hot Chocolate or Christmas Snowman Hot Chocolate?
Why you will love it
- Vegan - We used a plant based milk, vegan dark chocolate and maple syrup to sweeten it, to keep this a vegan hot chocolate.
- Indulgent - Sometimes people think that vegan recipes can't be indulgent, but this really is. It's so thick and luxurious. A proper cafe type hot chocolate.
- Adaptable - We have kept this recipe simple, but there are a few different ways that you can adapt the flavour. More on that below.
- Minimal ingredients - You don't need any fancy ingredients to make this oat milk hot chocolate. Just 5 simple ingredients and you have the most incredible warming drink.
- Quick - This hot chocolate with oat milk takes just 5 minutes to make.
Ingredients and substitutions
- Oat milk - We used our Homemade Oat Milk, which is SO easy to make, not to mention cheaper. However, you could use your favourite store bought oat milk if you prefer. You can use another milk alternative like almond milk too.
- Cocoa powder - You need unsweetened cocoa powder, not hot chocolate mix.
- Maple syrup - This is how we added extra sweetness, and still kept it vegan. If you didn't want it vegan, then you could use honey instead.
- Vanilla - Make sure it is vanilla extract, not essence (which has a chemical flavour).
- Vegan chocolate - This is where the indulgent chocolate flavour comes from. We used a 75% dark vegan chocolate.
A full ingredients list with measurements is in the recipe card below.
How to make vegan hot chocolate - Step by step
One: Put the oat milk in a pan and add the cocoa powder, maple syrup and vanilla.
Two: Heat over a low heat, whisking continuously.
Three: Add the vegan chocolate chocolate.
Four: Continue heating until the chocolate has melted, about 2 minutes.
We kept this recipe simple and just let the flavour of the chocolate and oat milk shine through. However, there are a couple of ways that you can flavour this oat milk hot chocolate so that it is different every time.
For a spicy kick, you can add a pinch of cayenne. Although this definitely isn't for everyone. You could also swap the vanilla extract for mint or orange extract or just use your favourite chocolate syrup.
For some extra warmth, you could add a pinch of cinnamon, nutmeg or ginger, or even a mixture of all three. That gives it a real cozy vibe.
What to serve with Oat Milk Hot Chocolate
To make this a super indulgent hot chocolate with oat milk, we topped topped ours with vegan squirty creamy and mini vegan marshmallows. If you wanted to make your own vegan whipped cream, you could top it with coconut whipped cream. A drizzle of caramel sauce on top is also really good.
We don't think this needs any served with it, as it is pretty indulgent as it is. However, you could serve it with a vegan version of our Chocolate Flapjacks.
Frequently Asked Questions
We think the sweetness in this is perfect, but that comes down to preference. To make it sweeter, or even to reduce the sweetness, just adjust the amount of maple syrup used.
This is best drunk straight away. However, if you do have leftovers then they can be stored in an air tight container until the next day and then you can just heat it through.
Yes, you can use another plant based milk like soya or almond milk, but they won't have the same creaminess. Coconut milk will give the same creaminess and keep it vegan, but it will change the flavour.
• For a little kick of heat, you could add a pinch of cayenne pepper to the chocolate oat milk.
• You can use another milk alternative like almond milk too, but it doesn't have the same kind of creaminess. You could use coconut milk instead, which would have the creaminess but it would totally change the flavour.
• Don't let the oat milk boil. You will need to cook it on low.
• If you are in a rush, you can cook this in the microwave.
• To make this a really frothy hot chocolate, use a milk frother.
• You can use a granulated sweetener instead of liquid sweetener if you prefer.
More drink recipes
If you’ve tried this oat milk hot chocolate, let us know how you got on in the comments below.
Tag us in your creations on Instagram @hungryhealthyhappy - Use the hashtag #hungryhealthyhappy too.
Oat Milk Hot Chocolate
- 500 ml (2 cups) Oat milk
- 2 tablespoon Cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoon Maple syrup
- 30 g (1 oz) Chocolate - vegan; dark; broken into pieces
- Put the oat milk in a pan and add the cocoa powder, maple syrup and vanilla.500 ml Oat milk, 2 tablespoon Cocoa powder
- Heat over a low heat, whisking continuously.
- Add the vegan chocolate chocolate.1 teaspoon Vanilla extract, 2 tablespoon Maple syrup, 30 g Chocolate
- Continue heating until the chocolate has melted, about 2 minutes.
- For a little kick of heat, you could add a pinch of cayenne pepper to the chocolate oat milk.
- You can use another milk alternative like almond milk too, but it doesn't have the same kind of creaminess. You could use coconut milk instead, which would have the creaminess but it would totally change the flavour.
- Don't let the oat milk boil. You will need to cook it on low.
- If you are in a rush, you can cook this in the microwave.
- To make this a really frothy hot chocolate, use a milk frother.
- You can use a granulated sweetener instead of liquid sweetener if you prefer.
This Milk Hot Chocolate is perfect for cold weather. Looks amazing.
Oat milk is so lovey, rich and creamy in this hot chocolate!
Okay, this does look super luxurious and delicious! My kids are off from school today so this is going to be a treat for them later.
Even though I don't enjoy oat milk in coffee, I must say it works so well in hot chocolate! Loved it - the real chocolate in this drink really takes it over the top! Decadence at its best :)
I loved that the oat mil made the hot chocolate super creamy! So good!
Oh yummy! Love this homemade hot cocoa with oat milk. Will be making this all season long.
Although I am not vegan, oat milk is so delicious. Especially when you get the barista version. This hot chocolate is perfect for a chilly fall day.
Love this dairy free version! I recently had to go dairy free for my auto immune disease, and with this recipe, I don't even miss the dairy version
This hot chocolate is perfect for the cooler weather and I love that it is naturally sweetened!
This hot chocolate looks so creamy and perfect for the weather at the moment. It's really good to know how the different milks work in this recipe too.