This pear smoothie is a delicious way to start your day and a great way to use up pears when they are in season. A refreshing creamy smoothie, with a little bit of zingy from some ginger. Just 5 ingredients and a couple of minutes to make it.
We are HUGE fans of smoothies. Whether it's for a light breakfast, easy snack, or a way to get some goodness into the kids. A pear smoothie might be on the top of your list, but it has the most amazing flavour, and it's super refreshing too. You can even make it vegan!
If you are looking for more pear recipes, why not try our comforting Apple and Pear Crumble or our super easy Pear Salad?
Why you will love it
- Just 5 ingredients - Just a handful of ingredients to make a nutritious and delicious smoothie.
- Quick and easy - Just throw it all in the blender and whizz it up.
- Adaptable - Feel free to use this smoothie with pear recipe as the base and then adapt it with the suggestions below.
- Great way to use pears - We usually get a LOT of pears in our fruit and vegetable boxes, so after we have made a crumble this pear smoothie recipe is how we use them up.
Ingredients and substitutions
- Pear - The star of the smoothie. You can use frozen or fresh pear. If you are using frozen, then you can leave out the ice.
- Banana - An easy way to thicken a smoothie and add some sweetness too. If you really don't like banana, you could add some frozen mango instead.
- Almond milk - This is the majority of the liquid for the smoothie. You could use any milk, or even swap it for water if you prefer. Coconut water adds a lovely flavour.
- Honey - This is optional, but if your banana is not very ripe, then you might want to add some extra sweetness. You could swap it for maple syrup or another liquid sweetener or blend in some dates for more natural sweetness.
- Ground ginger - This adds a lovely extra flavour and a little warmth that pairs beautifully with the ginger.
- Ice - This adds some liquid and also makes it extra refreshing.
A full ingredients list with measurements is in the recipe card below.
How to make a pear smoothie - Step by step
One: Put all of the ingredients into a blender.
Two: Blend until smooth.
Health benefits of pears
Pear are a good source of important minerals like copper and potassium. Copper plays a role in immunity, cholesterol metabolism, and nerve function, whereas potassium aids muscle contractions and heart function.
Pears are also a great source of polyphenol antioxidants, which protect against oxidative damage. The peel boasts up to six times more polyphenols than the flesh, so leave the peel in if you want a boost of this.
Pears are great for gut health due to being an excellent source of soluble and insoluble fibre - this is essential for digestive health. Fibre helps maintain bowel regularity by softening and bulking up stool.
The great thing about smoothies is how easy they are to adapt. Use this as a base and then add in whatever other smoothie ingredients you have.
To make a green pear smoothie, you can add in some kale or spinach. You can't taste it and it's such an easy way to boost your vegetable intake. You can add pretty much any berries you like, which will make it more of a pink/purple colour.
To this pear smoothie a protein boost, you can either add a heaped spoonful of Greek yogurt, or a scoop of your favourite protein powder.
Other nutritious smoothie add-ins include oats, chia seeds and flax seeds.
Frequently Asked Questions
No, you don't have to and there is a lot of goodness in the peel. It does add a bit more texture though, depending on how good your blender is, so you can peel it first. If you are leaving the peel on, make sure to give it a good scrub first.
If you have any leftovers, then you can keep it in mason jars or a glass container with an airtight lid in the fridge for up to 24 hours. Try to fill the container to the top to avoid extra air which will cause the smoothie to oxidise. We wouldn't recommend freezing this.
Make sure you are using a plant based milk and swap the honey for maple syrup to keep this vegan.
We LOVE our Ninja 3-in-1 blender. It is fast, powerful and has a whole host of features.
• The order you add your ingredients to the blender can make a difference in how easily your smoothie will blend. Ideally, you want liquid and softer ingredients nearest the blade to prevent the frozen ingredients from getting stuck under the blade.
• For some added healthy fats, you can either add some avocado, or nut butter. It adds some creaminess too.
• If storing leftovers of the smoothie, give it a good shake or a little blend again before serving.
More smoothie recipes
If you’ve tried this pear smoothie, let us know how you got on in the comments below.
Tag us in your creations on Instagram @hungryhealthyhappy - Use the hashtag #hungryhealthyhappy too.
- 2 Pears - peeled and chopped
- 1 Banana
- 300 ml (1.25 cups) Almond milk
- 1 teaspoon Honey
- 1 pinch Ground ginger
- Put all of the ingredients into a blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- The order you add your ingredients to the blender can make a difference in how easily your smoothie will blend. Ideally, you want liquid and softer ingredients nearest the blade to prevent the frozen ingredients from getting stuck under the blade.
- For some added healthy fats, you can either add some avocado, or nut butter. It adds some creaminess too.
- If storing leftovers of the smoothie, give it a good shake or a little blend again before serving.
Really loved this smoothie. Pears are so underrated and the ginger was really refreshing too.
Loving the ginger with the pear! :) Definitely trying this smoothie recipe soon.
Pear smoothies are the best smoothies to start your day with! I love that this one has a kick of ginger!
New favorite breakfast over here!
This is such a delicious smoothie! I love pears, but they're one of the few fruits I've never used in a smoothie. It's such a mellow flavor, and I really like it.
The combo of pear, banana, and ginger is so good and refreshing! A new favorite smoothie in my house for sure!
Amazing! So creamy, sweet and delicious. I had some leftover pears that I didn't know what to do with, and then I stumbled upon this recipe and knew I had to make it. So glad I did!
I've been looking for a new quick, easy, and healthy breakfast recipe. This one hits the spot!
I was looking for a recipe like this, thank you for sharing! I can't wait to try it soon!
I've never thought of pear for a smoothie before and I love this idea! Sounds so good. Can't wait to try it.
Love the pear in this light and refreshing smoothie. It's perfect for an afternoon pick me up.