A grapefruit smoothie is a delicious and refreshing way to start your day and this might just be the best smoothie we have ever had. This sweet and tangy fruit adds a lovely sweet flavour to any smoothie and it's something a little different for a satisfying breakfast or snack. The banana and frozen pineapple add extra sweetness and a creamy thick consistency to the smoothie too.
We love a smoothie for when we need a quick and easy breakfast as we head out the door or when we want a refreshing snack that is packed full of goodness. This grapefruit smoothie ticks all the boxes. It's refreshing and gives a real burst of energy and it's ready in just a couple of minutes.
If you are looking for some more smoothie recipes, then why not try our quick Frozen Fruit Smoothie, simple Pear Smoothie, super nutritious Kale Smoothie, vibrant Blackberry Smoothie or our delicious Chocolate Cherry Smoothie?
Why you will love it
- Quick and easy - This takes just a couple of minutes to throw together and then let your blender do all the hard work.
- Adaptable - Use this grapefruit smoothie recipe as a base and then adapt it with our suggestions below, like adding spinach for a green veggie boost.
- A delicious way to use grapefruit - If you love grapefruit, or maybe you got a few in your fruit box, then this is a good way to use it up so nothing goes to waste.
Ingredients and substitutions
- Grapefruit - This is the star of the smoothie. We used the juice from a whole grapefruit, but you could use grapefruit segments, which would add more fibre.
- Pineapple - We added some frozen pineapple to add some extra sweetness and it helps to balance out the bitterness of the grapefruit. You could use frozen mango too.
- Ice - This adds some liquid and also makes it extra refreshing.
- Banana - An easy way to thicken a smoothie and add some sweetness too.
- Maple syrup - This is optional, but if your banana is not very ripe, then you might want to add some extra sweetness.
- Greek yogurt - This helps to thicken the smoothie and make it extra creamy too and also gives it a protein boost.
- Almond milk - This is the majority of the liquid for the smoothie. You could use any milk, or even swap it for water if you prefer. Coconut water adds a lovely flavour.
A full ingredients list with measurements is in the recipe card below.
How to make a grapefruit smoothie - Step by step
One: Put all of the ingredients into a blender jug.
Two: Blend until smooth.
Health benefits of grapefruit
Grapefruit is a super fruit that is known for its high content of vitamin C, which plays a crucial role in boosting your immunity, combats inflammation, while also regulating blood pressure and cholesterol levels and protecting your body from diseases.
Grapefruit also provides small amounts of B vitamins, copper, zinc, and iron. These all work together in the body to promote a healthy immune system and also help maintain the integrity of your skin, which acts as a protective barrier to infection.
Grapefruit also contains a good amount of fibre, which is why it is popular for those wanting to loose weight. Make sure to use whole grapefruit pieces, rather than just juice for the fibre.
You can also make grapefruit smoothie bowls with this recipe by making it a bit thicker with more yogurt and less almond milk and pouring it in a bowl and adding toppings like granola, seeds, nuts, and fresh fruits.
Grapefruit goes really well with green veggies like spinach or kale and it's an easy way to give your diet a green boost - trust us, you won't even taste it.
You can easily add more fresh fruits like pomegranate, frozen mango chunks, raspberries, blueberries or strawberries.
Swap the almond milk for coconut milk to give it a tropical vibe. You could even add a splash of rum if you wanted something a little more special for the grown-ups. Perhaps not for breakfast time though!
Frequently Asked Questions
We used grapefruit juice for this, but you could use whole grapefruit segments if you prefer. To prepare the grapefruit, peel it and then de-seed it. You can then store it in the freeze until you are ready to use it in the smoothie.
If you have any leftovers, then you can keep it in mason jars or a glass container with an airtight lid in the fridge for up to 24 hours. Try to fill the container to the top to avoid extra air which will cause the smoothie to oxidise. We wouldn't recommend freezing a smoothie with grapefruit.
For a vegan version of this, use a plant based yogurt.
We LOVE our Ninja 3-in-1 blender. It is fast, powerful and has a whole host of features.
• Add a tiny bit of apple cider vinegar to bring out all the sweetness of the fruit.
• For some added healthy fats, you can either add some avocado, or nut butter. It adds some creaminess too.
• If you looking for some extra flavour, why not add a little grated ginger to this grapefruit smoothie?
• If you are using whole grapefruit rather than just juice, make sure you remove as much of the pith as possible, as this will make the smoothie bitter with too much of it.
• If storing leftovers of the smoothie, give it a good shake or a little blend again before serving.
More smoothie recipes
If you’ve tried this grapefruit smoothie, let us know how you got on in the comments below.
Tag us in your creations on Instagram @hungryhealthyhappy - Use the hashtag #hungryhealthyhappy too.
- 1 Grapefruit - juice only
- 150 g (1 cups) Pineapple chunks - frozen
- 200 g (1 cups) Ice
- 1 Banana
- 1 tablespoon Maple syrup
- 3 tablespoon Greek yogurt
- 200 ml (0.85 cups) Almond milk
- Put all of the ingredients into a blender jug.
- Blend until smooth.
- Add a tiny bit of apple cider vinegar to bring out all the sweetness of the fruit.
- For some added healthy fats, you can either add some avocado, or nut butter. It adds some creaminess too.
- If you looking for some extra flavour, why not add a little grated ginger to this grapefruit smoothie?
- If you are using whole grapefruit rather than just juice, make sure you remove as much of the pith as possible, as this will make the smoothie bitter with too much of it.
- If storing leftovers of the smoothie, give it a good shake or a little blend again before serving.
we have a grapefruit tree so this is perfect for our overflow! Great flavors. Family loved it.
delicious recipe. I just happen to have lots of extra grapefruits and I made this smoothie. i feel so healthy now
Such a refreshing and delicious grapfruit smoothie! Perfect for comming days.
As a big fan of smoothies, I can't wait to make this delicious and refreshing grapefruit one.
Such a refreshing smoothie! Definitely the perfect start to the day. I love those flavors and how easily it comes together.
Ooo I've never included grapefruit in a smoothie before, but clearly I need to! This looks so refreshing and delicious :)
I have definitely made a lot of smoothies in my day, but I don't think I have had a grapefruit one before! I need to change that asap. Yum! :)
Sisley White - Sew White
The addition of the Greek Yoghurt was absolutely incredible in this smoothie. It worked so well with the grapefruit.
What a great way to have grapefruit. It's such a refreshing fruit that screams summertime. Can't wait to make this.
I love how refreshing the grapefruit is, perfect for summer smoothies!