If you love the light and fresh flavours of fish tacos, then you are going to love this easy Salmon Burrito recipe. Flakes of spicy grilled Mexican salmon on top of a crunchy avocado salad, all wrapped up in a tortilla with a creamy coriander sauce. A tasty dish to feed a crowd.
Although fish burritos might not be something you usually see, we love added some Mexican seasoned salmon to burritos for a light and fresh meal. All your favourite Mexican flavours, but with salmon.
Why you will love it
- Something new for Mexican night - bored of the same tacos and burrito all the time? This salmon burrito makes a nice change.
- Easy to adapt - Feel free to adapt it with your favourite vegetables and Mexican toppings.
- Light and fresh - The perfect meal for salmon.
- A great way to eat salmon - If you are trying to get more fish in your diet, then these burritos are an easy way to do it,
- Salmon - We used fillets of Scottish salmon, as that is our favourite. If you are put off cooking fish because you think it is too complicated, this is an easy place to start.
- Mexican seasoning - We have included how we make our own Mexican seasoning. However, you could use a good quality store bought one if you prefer. Making your own means you can make it as spicy or as mild as you like.
- Avocado - Try to look for avocados that give a bit to a gentle squeeze. But you don't want one that it too soft, as it will be over ripe.
- Lettuce - This adds some crunch. We used romaine, but you could use iceberg or little gem.
- Tomatoes - You can either use cherry tomatoes or cut a plum tomato in to smaller chunks.
- Lime - This adds a real freshness to the whole salad. You might need more or less, depending on how juicy your lime is.
- Spring onions (scallions) - This adds some extra crunch to the salad. You could swap them for shallots.
- Yogurt - This mixed in with the avocado makes a really creamy dressing. Use low fat to reduce the calories.
- Coriander (cilantro) - It wouldn't be a Mexican dish without fresh coriander would it. I know that not everyone likes it, so you could like it out.
- Tortilla wraps - We used flour tortillas for this Mexican salmon recipe, as we find that they fold better than corn tortillas.
A full ingredients list with measurements is in the recipe card below.
How to make salmon burritos - Step by step
One: Sprinkle the Mexican seasoning on the salmon fillets.
Two: Put the salmon fillets under the grill for 10 minutes until cooked.
Three: In a large bowl, add the lettuce, avocado, tomato, lime juice, salt and pepper and mix well.
Four: In a small food processor, blend the yogurt and coriander together.
Five: Spread the creamy coriander sauce on the tortillas.
Six: Top with the salad.
Seven: Flake the salmon and put on top of the salad.
Eight: Wrap into a burrito and serve.
We have always been a fan of fish tacos, but it was only when I spent some time in Southern California that I discovered a love of salmon burritos.
The salmon was always grilled to perfection and the burritos were packed with a crunchy salad that a variation of a lettuce, avocado and tomato combo.
One of the best parts of the salmon burrito for me was the creamy coriander sauce that usually came with it. Sometimes it had a kick of chilli in it and other times it was a nice cooling sauce. But I always got extra for dipping.
You could save your self some time by buying a packed of Mexican seasoning, or you could make up a big batch yourself and keep it in a jar for future recipes.
We usually make our own with equal parts cumin, ground coriander, garlic and onion powder and then half the amount of chilli powder and dried oregano. We use this for tacos and fajitas or even to give a grilled cheese sandwich a little flavour boost.
What to serve with salmon burritos
Frequently asked questions
We find that stilton and goats cheese go really well with salmon, although they aren't cheeses that you would traditionally find in a burrito. You could add some feta or cheddar, but this really doesn't need any cheese.
If you have any burritos left over, then they would store in the fridge, wrapped up and in an air tight container, until the next day. However, they are best eaten fresh.
Wrapping a burrito is an art, so if you don't fancy having this filling in a burrito, you could make it for fish tacos instead. Or, if you prefer to eat your meals with a knife and fork, then you could make this in to a burrito bowl and save yourself some mess.
If salmon isn't your thing, the you can swap it for a white fish like cod or prawns/shrimp, or use chicken or tofu instead.
• You could make these salmon burritos a little more filling by adding some cooked brown rice or roasted sweet potato.
• Add some spice to the creamy coriander sauce by blending some chipotle with it.
• We don't tend to eat fish with cheese, but some crumbled feta would be really good with this.
• Give these burritos a veggie boost by adding some roasted vegetables to the salad mix.
• You could swap the salmon for a white fish or prawns, or use chicken or tofu instead.
More salmon recipes
If you’ve tried this salmon burrito recipe, then let us know how you got on in the comments below.
Tag us in your creations on Instagram @hungryhealthyhappy - You can use the hashtag #hungryhealthyhappy too.
- Sprinkle the Mexican seasoning on the salmon and then put the salmon fillets under the grill for 10 minutes until cooked.
- In a large bowl, add the lettuce, avocado, tomato, lime juice, salt and pepper and mix well. In a small food processor, blend the yoghurt and coriander together.
- Spread the creamy coriander sauce on the tortillas.
- Top with the salad.
- Flake the salmon and put on top of the salad.
- Wrap in to a burrito and serve.
- You could make these salmon burritos a little more filling by adding some cooked brown rice or roasted sweet potato.
- Add some spice to the creamy coriander sauce by blending some chipotle with it.
- We don't tend to eat fish with cheese, but some crumbled feta would be really good with this.
- Give these burritos a veggie boost by adding some roasted vegetables to the salad mix.
- You could swap the salmon for a white fish or prawns, or use chicken or tofu instead.