Burritos are always a crowd pleaser and these Bean Burritos are made with cupboard staples for a quick and simple budget friendly meal. Just a few other ingredients take these vegan burritos from tasty but basic to WOW. Another Mexican recipe that won't break the bank, but will keep everyone happy.
Vegetarian and vegan food is seriously under-rated and these bursting bean burritos are an excellent example of that. Whilst you might be used to enjoying burritos with shredded chicken or chunks of steak, these burritos get their protein, flavour and bulk from a mix of beans to make a Mexican staple that are great for feeding a crowd.
Why should you try it?
- Simple Mexican comfort food
- Ready in just 20 minutes
- Low calorie
- Easy to make vegan
Step by step
Five: Make your burritos by adding a little cooked rice and bean mix to a tortilla and then top with some shredded lettuce, slaw, guacamole, salsa and chipotle cream and wrap up in to a burrito and wrap in foil to keep warm.
Are they hard to make?
Bean burritos are about as simple as Mexican food gets - but don't mistake simple for boring, as these are far from it. This chunky bean mix is cooked in a chipotle sauce before it is loaded in to a burrito with loads of other favourite Mexican ingredients and it has plenty of crunch too.
If you can bare to save any leftovers, or you have the willpower to make double the batch and save half, then these make delicious leftovers. Wrap up the burritos (although I would leave out the lettuce) and put them in the freezer. I can't tell you how good it feels coming back from the pub and knowing you have a couple of these in the freezer ready to defrost and reheat.
What to serve them with
If you haven't tried our Mexican Coleslaw yet, then you need it in your life immediately! Coleslaw by itself it pretty epic, but our Mexican twist on it just takes it to another level and it is the perfect addition to these easy bean burritos. Gather some friends around and make up a big batch of these easy burritos.
More Mexican recipes
|Do you want to be kept up to date on more delicious posts like this? Please subscribe to the blog mailing list (it takes 30 seconds).|
Click here to sign up.
If you’ve tried this or any other recipe on the blog then let us know how you got on in the comments below, we love hearing from you!
Tag us in your creations on Instagram @hungryhealthyhappy - we love sharing photos when people make our recipes. You can use the hashtag #hungryhealthyhappy too.
DON’T FORGET TO RATE THE RECIPE ↓
- 2 Cloves of garlic crushed
- 8 Mushrooms sliced
- 1 Medium onion sliced
- 300 g Mixed Mexican Beans canned; drained
- 1 handful of Frozen sweetcorn
- 2 teaspoon Chipotle paste (less if you like it less spicy)
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- 4 tablespoon Fresh coriander/cilantro chopped
- 200 g Chopped tomatoes canned
- 0.5 cup Brown rice cooked
- Shredded lettuce
- Homemade salsa
- Mexican Coleslaw
- Chipotle Cream (optional) (chipotle paste mixed in to Greek yoghurt or creme fraiche)
- 4 Whole wheat tortillas
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large pan and add the onion, garlic and mushrooms. Cook for 3 minutes until softened.
- Add the beans and sweetcorn and mash them a little so they become a little mushy.
- Add the chipotle, cumin, coriander/cilantro and paprika and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes and cook for 3-4 minutes.