This watermelon fruit pizza is basically a giant slice of summer. Circles of watermelon loaded with colourful berries, some creamy yogurt, crunchy nuts and a drizzle of chocolate. It's an easy dessert to feed a crowd on a hot day and kids love making it too.
Doesn't this look like a fun dessert! It's an easy way to get kids to eat some extra fruit and they will love getting involved and making it too. Give everyone their own round of watermelon and let them create their own. It's like a pizza party, with fruit.
Watermelon just screams summer. It's refreshing, thirst-quenching and if you buy it in season it's pretty cheap too. Whilst we love nothing more than biting in to a slice of watermelon, it's nice to do something a little more creative with it.
If you're looking for another way to use this delicious fruit, try our Watermelon and Feta Salad - sweet and salty in one meal!
What you will need
- Watermelon - The star of this recipe, and the key is to choose the perfect watermelon. Look for the yellow spot, as watermelons develop a patch where they rest on the ground. When this patch is a creamy yellow, it is ripe. Give it a tap underneath the watermelon, and a ripe one will have a deep hollow sound. This means it is juicy and peak ripeness.
- Yogurt - This is the "sauce" for the fruit pizza. We used a thick Greek yogurt, but you could use your favourite flavoured yoghurt.
- Berries - We used a mixture of berries, such as blueberries, raspberries and strawberries. Cherries and blackberries work well too.
- Toppings - We love some crunchy toppings on our watermelon pizza too, so we add a sprinkling of chopped nuts and seeds. We have some more topping ideas below.
- Herbs - We add a sprinkling of fresh chopped mint, which adds some extra freshness. You can leave this out.
- Chocolate - If you want to make this fruit pizza a little more indulgent, then give it a drizzle of chocolate before serving. We go for dark chocolate.
Step by step
One: Slice the watermelon to get a large round.
Two: Spread the yogurt on the watermelon slice.
Three: Add the strawberries, raspberries and blueberries.
Four: Sprinkle with the chopped nuts and coconut.
Five: Add the mint leaves.
Six: Drizzle with chocolate syrup.
Why should you try it?
- Really fun to make
- You can get creative with the toppings
- Really refreshing
- Looks great served up to guests
Health benefits of watermelon
Watermelon is a fruit with lots of health benefits. Firstly, it is a great way to stay hydrated in the summer as it is 92% water. Fruits that have a high water content will help you to stay fuller for longer too.
As well as being low in calories, watermelon is also high in vitamins C and A, which are great for skin and hair health.
What fruit to add
Fruit pizza has become a big thing recently, but it's usually still a dough base, with a Nutella sauce and then loaded with fruit. It's amazing. But, why not make it more nutrient dense by using fruit as the base. Watermelon is nice and sturdy and each to hold.
The topping options are almost endless when it comes to this Watermelon Fruit Pizza. We used berries to make it super colourful, but you could use apple, peaches, grapes - anything really.
After the fruit is on, you can get even more creative with toppings with the nuts, seeds and sauce drizzle. We make it a different way every time and they all taste great. Apple and caramel is a favourite of ours though.
Try almonds, cashews or hazelnuts and chia seeds, pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds.
How to use leftover watermelon
You are going to left with a fair bit of watermelon after making this watermelon pizza, so don't let it go to waste - make some other watermelon desserts instead. Add it as a topping to ice cream or waffles, or make a sorbet with it for a super refreshing summer dessert.
This watermelon fruit pizza takes less than 10 minutes to make, so it's the perfect dessert to make when you are in a rush and want everyone to get a few extra vitamins in their diet.
Wrap tightly in plastic wrap to keep it fresh and moist and keep in the fridge for up to 3 days. If you want it longer than that, it can be frozen.
You can freeze cut watermelon, but once thawed it will likely be very mushy. This is great for making sorbets or putting into drinks, but if you want to enjoy a watermelon's fresh crisp crunch, then fresh is always best.
Instead of a yogurt "sauce", you could make a cream cheese frosting.
• You don't just have to use berries - you could use chopped up peaches and grapes instead. If you want something chunkier, chop up some apple to go on top.
• We added chopped nuts and some coconut to add some extra texture, but you could either leave it out or use mixed seeds instead.
• The chocolate drizzle on top (we used Choc Shot) just gives it something a little extra special, but you could either leave it out or use caramel or a drizzle of honey instead.
• Add even more flavour to this watermelon pizza by swapping the plain yogurt for a flavoured one.
• You could leave out the yogurt completely and use a cream cheese and ricotta mixture instead.
More dessert recipes
Do you want to be kept up to date on more delicious posts like this? Please subscribe to the blog mailing list (it takes 30 seconds).
Click here to sign up.
If you’ve tried this or any other recipe on the blog then let us know how you got on in the comments below, we love hearing from you!
Tag us in your creations on Instagram @hungryhealthyhappy - we love sharing photos when people make our recipes. You can use the hashtag #hungryhealthyhappy too.
Don't forget to rate the recipe ↓
Watermelon Fruit Pizza
- 1 Large slice of watermelon (sliced from the middle is best)
- 4 tablespoon 0% Greek yogurt
- 2 Large strawberries diced
- 6 Raspberries
- 10 Blueberries
- 4 Almonds chopped
- 1 tablespoon Desiccated coconut
- Chocolate syrup (optional)
- Mint (optional)
- Slice the watermelon to get a large round.
- Spread the yogurt on the watermelon slice.
- Add the strawberries, raspberries and blueberries.
- Sprinkle with the chopped nuts and coconut.
- Add the mint leaves and drizzle with chocolate syrup.
- You don't just have to use berries - you could use chopped up peaches and grapes instead. If you want something chunkier, chop up some apple to go on top.
- We added chopped nuts and some coconut to add some extra texture, but you could either leave it out or use mixed seeds instead.
- The chocolate drizzle on top (we used Choc Shot) just gives it something a little extra special, but you could either leave it out or use caramel or a drizzle of honey instead.
- Add even more flavour to this watermelon pizza by swapping the plain yogurt for a flavoured one.
- You could leave out the yogurt completely and use a cream cheese and ricotta mixture instead.