This watermelon fruit pizza is basically a giant slice of summer. Circles of watermelon loaded with colourful berries, some creamy yogurt, crunchy nuts and a drizzle of chocolate. It's an easy dessert to feed a crowd on a hot day and kids love making it too.
Doesn't this look like a fun dessert! It's an easy way to get kids to eat some extra fruit and they will love getting involved and making it too. Give everyone their own round of watermelon and let them create their own. It's like a pizza party, with fruit.
Watermelon just screams summer. It's refreshing, thirst-quenching and if you buy it in season it's pretty cheap too. Whilst we love nothing more than biting in to a slice of watermelon, it's nice to do something a little more creative with it.
If you're looking for another way to use this delicious fruit, try our Watermelon and Feta Salad - sweet and salty in one meal!
Why you will love it
- Really fun to make
- You can get creative with the toppings
- Really refreshing
- Looks great served up to guests
- Watermelon - The star of this recipe, and the key is to choose the perfect watermelon. Look for the yellow spot, as watermelons develop a patch where they rest on the ground. When this patch is a creamy yellow, it is ripe. Give it a tap underneath the watermelon, and a ripe one will have a deep hollow sound. This means it is juicy and peak ripeness.
- Yogurt - This is the "sauce" for the fruit pizza. We used a thick Greek yogurt, but you could use your favourite flavoured yoghurt.
- Berries - We used a mixture of berries, such as blueberries, raspberries and strawberries. Cherries and blackberries work well too.
- Toppings - We love some crunchy toppings on our watermelon pizza too, so we add a sprinkling of chopped nuts and seeds. We have some more topping ideas below.
- Herbs - We add a sprinkling of fresh chopped mint, which adds some extra freshness. You can leave this out.
- Chocolate - If you want to make this fruit pizza a little more indulgent, then give it a drizzle of chocolate before serving. We go for dark chocolate.
A full ingredients list with measurements is in the recipe card below.
Step by step
One: Slice the watermelon to get a large round.
Two: Spread the yogurt on the watermelon slice.
Three: Add the strawberries, raspberries and blueberries.
Four: Sprinkle with the chopped nuts, coconut and mint leaves.
Five: Drizzle with chocolate syrup.
Health benefits of watermelon
Watermelon is a fruit with lots of health benefits. Firstly, it is a great way to stay hydrated in the summer as it is 92% water. Fruits that have a high water content will help you to stay fuller for longer too.
As well as being low in calories, watermelon is also high in vitamins C and A, which are great for skin and hair health.
What fruit to add
Fruit pizza has become a big thing recently, but it's usually still a dough base, with a Nutella sauce and then loaded with fruit. It's amazing. But, why not make it more nutrient dense by using fruit as the base. Watermelon is nice and sturdy and each to hold.
The topping options are almost endless when it comes to this Watermelon Fruit Pizza. We used berries to make it super colourful, but you could use apple, peaches, grapes - anything really.
After the fruit is on, you can get even more creative with toppings with the nuts, seeds and sauce drizzle. We make it a different way every time and they all taste great. Apple and caramel is a favourite of ours though.
Try almonds, cashews or hazelnuts and chia seeds, pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds.
How to use leftover watermelon
You are going to left with a fair bit of watermelon after making this watermelon pizza, so don't let it go to waste - make some other watermelon desserts instead. Add it as a topping to ice cream or waffles, or make a sorbet with it for a super refreshing summer dessert.
This watermelon fruit pizza takes less than 10 minutes to make, so it's the perfect dessert to make when you are in a rush and want everyone to get a few extra vitamins in their diet.
Wrap tightly in plastic wrap to keep it fresh and moist and keep in the fridge for up to 3 days. If you want it longer than that, it can be frozen.
You can freeze cut watermelon, but once thawed it will likely be very mushy. This is great for making sorbets or putting into drinks, but if you want to enjoy a watermelon's fresh crisp crunch, then fresh is always best.
Instead of a yogurt "sauce", you could make a cream cheese frosting.
• You don't just have to use berries - you could use chopped up peaches and grapes instead. If you want something chunkier, chop up some apple to go on top.
• We added chopped nuts and some coconut to add some extra texture, but you could either leave it out or use mixed seeds instead.
• The chocolate drizzle on top (we used Choc Shot) just gives it something a little extra special, but you could either leave it out or use caramel or a drizzle of honey instead.
• Add even more flavour to this watermelon pizza by swapping the plain yogurt for a flavoured one.
• You could leave out the yogurt completely and use a cream cheese and ricotta mixture instead.
More dessert recipes
If you’ve tried this watermelon pizza recipe, then let us know how you got on in the comments below.
Tag us in your creations on Instagram @hungryhealthyhappy - You can use the hashtag #hungryhealthyhappy too.
Watermelon Fruit Pizza
- 1 Watermelon - (large; sliced from the middle is best)
- 4 tablespoon 0% Greek yogurt
- 2 Strawberries - large; diced
- 6 Raspberries
- 10 Blueberries
- 4 Almonds - chopped
- 1 tablespoon Desiccated coconut
- Chocolate syrup - (optional)
- Fresh mint - (optional)
- Slice 1 Watermelon to get a large round.
- Spread 4 tablespoon 0% Greek yogurt on the watermelon slice.
- Add 2 Strawberries, 6 Raspberries and 10 Blueberries.
- Sprinkle with 4 Almonds and 1 tablespoon Desiccated coconut.
- Add Fresh mint and drizzle with Chocolate syrup (both optional).
- You don't just have to use berries - you could use chopped up peaches and grapes instead. If you want something chunkier, chop up some apple to go on top.
- We added chopped nuts and some coconut to add some extra texture, but you could either leave it out or use mixed seeds instead.
- The chocolate drizzle on top (we used Choc Shot) just gives it something a little extra special, but you could either leave it out or use caramel or a drizzle of honey instead.
- Add even more flavour to this watermelon pizza by swapping the plain yogurt for a flavoured one.
- You could leave out the yogurt completely and use a cream cheese and ricotta mixture instead.
Lauren Vavala @ DeliciousLittleBites
This is such a fun idea for a summer dessert! It looks so fresh and delicious!
I think there is no healthier pizza around...this is such a gorgeous idea. On top of it super flexible:)
Your watermelon pizza is so pretty! I definitely love idea of the crunchy toppings and chocolate syrup.
What a gorgeous, healthy, treat. Love it!
This is so pretty! I love that you've made it healthier with the watermelon base. My family will love it.
What an awesome idea! The perfect summer pizza, can't wait to give it a go :)
Looks delicious! . Can’t wait to try these!
Why have I never thought of doing something like this before? We love everything you've put on here so it would make a tasty treat for the whole family. Definitely going to give it a go over the weekend! Yum :)
This looks so delicious its unreal! I'd pile mine high with dairy free yogurt as I'm intolerant, a drizzle of honey, some seeds and plenty of fresh fruit! xxx
This looks delicious as always, Dannii. I really like the idea of using desiccated coconut. Yummy.
Oh my gosh this looks incredible- Im adding watermelon to my shopping list this week now. My fussy son would love this "pizza" for breakfast
Great wayy to get the kids involved and keen to eat fruits! I'd rather have real pizza but this definitely looks delish on a hot day!
What a fun and unique idea, you have endless options of what to do with this pizza too. This would be a really great way to get more fruit into kids diets as well and it looks fun to make