This Sea Breeze cocktail is super refreshing and perfect for summertime sipping. This cocktail is made with vodka, cranberry juice, and grapefruit juice, and served in a glass with ice and lime. The combination of sweet and tart flavours makes it a favourite among cocktail enthusiasts.
The origins of the Sea Breeze cocktail are not entirely clear, but it is believed to have been created in the 1920s or 1930s. The drink gained popularity in the 1950s and 1960s, and has remained a classic cocktail ever since. It is often served at beach bars and poolside lounges, and is a staple at many summer parties. This Sea Breeze recipe is a must at a BBQ.
Despite its popularity, this cocktail is often overlooked in favour of other more well-known drinks such as the Margarita or the Mojito. However, its simplicity and refreshing taste make it a great choice for those who want to try something new. Whether you're lounging by the pool or enjoying a barbecue with friends, the Sea Breeze drink is sure to be a crowd-pleaser.
Ingredients and substitutions
- Vodka - A good quality vodka is important, you will regret it the next day otherwise!
- Ocean Spray Cranberry Juice - This is the main flavour you will get from the cocktail, so use the best quality you can. We use Ocean Spray and for full disclosure we worked with them recently on an Instagram campaign. Check out our Instagram video for this cocktail.
- Grapefruit juice - Mixing this with the cranberry juice adds a nice tartness and it's also super refreshing.
- Ice - Essential for a summer cocktail.
- Slices of lime - Makes it zesty and look summery too.
A full ingredients list with measurements is in the recipe card below.
How to make a Sea Breeze Cocktail - Step by step
One: Add a handful of ice cubes to a cocktail shaker. Pour in the vodka.
Two: Pour in the grapefruit juice.
Three: Add the cranberry juice.
Four: Put the lid on the shaker and shake well. Pour into glasses over ice and add slices of lime.
The original version of the Sea Breeze Cocktail was made with gin, grenadine, and grapefruit juice. However, over time, the recipe has evolved to include vodka and cranberry juice. The addition of vodka and cranberry juice is said to have been inspired by the popularity of the Cape Codder, a similar cocktail made with vodka and cranberry juice.
The Sea Breeze Cocktail gained popularity in the 1950s and 1960s, particularly among women. It was often served at pool parties and other social gatherings, and was seen as a light and refreshing alternative to heavier cocktails.
Tropical Sea Breeze - For those who love a tropical twist, we have made a tropical twist of this cocktail. This variation includes the addition of pineapple juice and coconut rum to create a deliciously fruity and refreshing taste.
Mix together 50ml of vodka, 50ml of pineapple juice, 100ml of cranberry juice, and 25ml of coconut rum in a shaker with ice. Shake well and strain into a glass filled with ice. Garnish with a slice of pineapple or a cherry for an added tropical touch.
Winter Sea Breeze - For those who want to enjoy the classic Sea Breeze cocktail during the winter months, we have a nice little twist. This variation includes the addition of warming spices such as cinnamon and nutmeg to create a comforting and cosy taste.
To make this, mix together 50ml of vodka, 50ml of grapefruit juice, 50ml of cranberry juice, and a pinch of cinnamon and nutmeg in a shaker with ice. Shake well and strain into a glass filled with ice. Garnish with a slice of grapefruit or a cinnamon stick for an added winter touch.
Non-Alcoholic - For those who want to enjoy the delicious taste of this cocktail without the alcohol, you can swap the vodka for soda water.
Mix together the grapefruit juice and cranberry juice with 100ml of soda water in a shaker with ice. Shake well and strain into a glass filled with ice. Garnish with a slice of grapefruit or a cherry for an added touch.
Frequently Asked Questions
The Sea Breeze Cocktail pairs well with a variety of foods, including seafood, grilled meats, and light salads. Its tart and slightly sweet taste makes it an excellent accompaniment to spicy or bold-flavoured dishes.
It is traditionally served in a tall glass, such as a highball or Collins glass. The glass should be filled with ice, which will keep the drink cold and enhance its refreshing taste
Garnishes can add an extra touch of flavour and style to your Sea Breeze Cocktail. A wedge of lime or lemon is a classic garnish that complements the drink's citrusy notes. You can also add a sprig of fresh mint or a slice of cucumber for a more complex flavour profile.
While grapefruit juice is a key ingredient in the Sea Breeze Cocktail, you can certainly substitute it with another type of juice if you prefer. Some people like to use pineapple juice or orange juice instead of grapefruit juice to give the cocktail a slightly different flavour.
More refreshing drink recipes
Sea Breeze Cocktail
- 50 ml (1.75 floz) Vodka
- 100 ml (0.5 cups) Cranberry juice
- 60 ml (0.25 cups) Grapefruit juice
- 1 Lime - sliced
- Add a handful of Ice cubes to a cocktail shaker. Pour in 50 ml Vodka.
- Pour in 60 ml Grapefruit juice.
- Add 100 ml Cranberry juice.
- Put the lid on the shaker and shake well. Pour into glasses over ice and add slices of 1 Lime.
- It is important to use fresh, high-quality ingredients to ensure the best taste and quality of the cocktail.
- The ratio of vodka to juices can be adjusted to personal preference, but the standard recipe calls for almost equal parts vodka and grapefruit juice, and double the amount of cranberry juice.
- You can make this cocktail a couple of hours in advance and keep it in a jug in the fridge until you are ready to serve. Make sure you give it a good stir before serving.
The nutritional information provided is approximate and is calculated using online tools. Information can vary depending on various factors, but we have endeavoured to be as accurate as possible.