When the pizza cravings hit, why not make these Easy Pizza Bagels. Just 5 ingredients and ready in just over 5 minutes. Kids will love topping their own pizzas, making it the perfect quick and easy lunch to make when everyone wants something different. All that delicious taste of pizza, but healthier and quicker.
Pizza is always a winner in our house. Whether it is homemade, takeaway, served on toast or a bagel - we love all kinds of pizza. But when you want something quick and easy or when your kids are demanding another snack, these pizza bagels hit the spot.
Quick and easy and so adaptable with your favourite pizza toppings too. Just slice the bagel in half, add your pizza sauce, toppings and cheese and then put under the grill until crispy and golden.
If you are looking for some other pizza alternatives to try, then why not try our Easy Pizza Toast, Tortilla Pizza or Flatbread Pizza.
Why you will love them
- Quick and easy pizza - This pizza is ready in just 5 minutes and all you need to do is add the pizza sauce and toppings. So easy!
- Adaptable - Everyone has their own pizza topping favourites, so feel free to add whatever you like. get everyone to make their own so everyone can have exactly the pizza they want.
- Lower in calories - Compared to takeaway pizza or even store bought this is a much lower calorie option for when those pizza cravings hit.
- Bagels - We have used bagel thins to make these lower in calories. However, you can use any bagels. Why not try our Easy Homemade Bagel Recipe? If you don't have bagels, then you could use English muffins instead.
- Tomato puree - This is a quick and cheap way to make a pizza sauce. You can mix in some dried herbs or even BBQ sauce for more flavour.
- Ham - Use a good quality smoked ham for extra flavour.
- Sweetcorn - You can use tinned or even frozen.
- Cheese - We used a mature cheddar because it has a strong flavour so you can get away with using less of it and it makes these lower in calories. However we have given other options for cheese below.
A full ingredients list with measurements is in the recipe card below.
How to make pizza bagels - Step by step
One: Slice the bagels in half. Spread the bagel halves with tomato puree.
Two: Add the ham...
Three: Then the sweetcorn...
Four: Then top with grated cheese.
Five: Place under the grill (broiler) for 3-5 minutes or until the cheese starts to bubble.
Pizza sauce - We kept it simple with some tomato puree. However, you could make our Easy Pizza Sauce or even just use some passata. If you want even more flavour, then use a good quality BBQ sauce for the pizza sauce.
Meat - We just added a bit of ham, but there are so many options. You could use leftover shredded chicken, cooked sausage, pepperoni, bacon, chorizo or prawns.
Vegetables - There are so many ways that you can give a vegetable boost to these pizza bagels. We added some sweetcorn for crunch and colour, but you could also add chopped spinach, diced mushrooms, grated courgette (zucchini), sun-dried tomatoes, roasted red pepper, olives, artichokes, or onions.
You could also add pineapple, but it's not a vegetable and it also causes a lot of arguments when it comes to pizza!
Cheese - We have used a mature cheddar, but other cheese that works well includes Stilton, feta, mozzarella, parmesan or Swiss.
What to serve with pizza bagels
Pizza and any kind of potato goes well. Why not try our Air Fryer Potato Wedges, Skin On Fries, Hasselback Potatoes, Parmesan Truffle Fries or Homemade Garlic Crisps?
If you are looking for some vegetable side dishes, then we have got you covered too. Try our Cheesy Cauliflower Nuggets, Broccoli Slaw, Garlic Spring Greens and Roasted Tenderstem Broccoli.
If salads are more your thing, we have a Cucumber and Radish Salad, Chopped Blue Cheese Salad or Little Gem Salad.
These pizza bagels are best eaten immediately. However, if you do have leftovers then they have be wrapped in foil and stored in the fridge for 2 days. You can then either reheat them in the oven or air fryer for 5 minutes.
Frequently Asked Questions
We used bagel thins, so they are lower in calories. You can use a reduced fat cheese to make them lower in calories too. These are lighter than a takeaway pizza and you can also add lots of vegetables to make them more nutrient dense.
These take 3-5 minutes under the grill, depending on how crispy you like them.
Yes, you can cook them in the oven. Put them in a preheated oven at 180°C/350°F/Gas 4 for 8-10 minutes until the cheese has melted. You won't get the same crispiness as you would cooking them under the grill.
Yes, you can microwave these on high for 1 minute. However you won't get the same crispiness.
Yes, this is an easy way to cook them too. Put them in the air fryer at 180°C for 5 minutes.
You certainly can! Make them up and then keep them in the fridge until you are ready to cook. You may need to cook it for a couple of minutes longer if it is cold from the fridge.
If you use vegan cheese and make sure the bagels are vegan too, then yes these can be.
As long as you use gluten free bagels and make sure there is no cross contamination, these can be gluten free.
• For extra flavour, you can add a pinch of dried oregano on top of the cheese before the pizza bagels go under the grill, or you can sprinkle them with fresh chopped basil before serving.
• Add some extra flavour to the pizza sauce by mixing in some BBQ sauce or hot sauce with the tomato puree.
More pizza recipes
Now you know how to make pizza bagels, let us know how you got on in the comments below.
Tag us in your creations on Instagram @hungryhealthyhappy - Use the hashtag #hungryhealthyhappy too.
- 2 Bagel thins
- 4 tablespoon Tomato puree
- 30 g (1 oz) Ham - chopped
- 4 tablespoon Sweetcorn
- 60 g (0.5 cups) Mature light cheddar
- Slice 2 Bagel thins in half. Spread the bagel halves with 4 tablespoon Tomato puree.
- Add 30 g Ham...
- Then 4 tablespoon Sweetcorn...
- Then top with 60 g Mature light cheddar.
- Place under the grill (broiler) for 3-5 minutes or until the cheese starts to bubble.
- For extra flavour, you can add a pinch of dried oregano on top of the cheese before the pizza bagels go under the grill, or you can sprinkle them with fresh chopped basil before serving.
- Add some extra flavour to the pizza sauce by mixing in some BBQ sauce or hot sauce with the tomato puree.
These were such a fun easy dinner!
I made these last night for a quick meal, and they were a hit! The bagels really stand up to the sauce, and the flavors are great.
I've made these twice now these kids just go nuts over them great idea and recipe!
We make these all the time - always a winner! Such a quick, easy and crowd-pleasing weeknight dinner for the kids. Thanks!
This brings me back to my childhood. Loved the way they turned out, so delicious!
We love making these! So easy and the kids adore them.
The kids loved these and ask me to make them just about everyday now!
Pizza bagels are perfect for a quick and easy weekend lunch for kids. Plenty of ways to customise them too!
My kids love pizza bagels! They're so easy.
We love all things pizza in my house too and I know my kids will love these bagels! Adding the corn is such a great idea.
This takes me back to my childhood. Love how easy and delicious these pizza bagels are. Also, way better than anything store bought!