Mexican Pizza is a fusion of two of the best cuisines in the world. A crisp pizza base smothered in hot and smoky chunky salsa and then scattered with some tomatoes and cheese. Topped off with mashed avocado, sour cream and some onion and herbs. Is your mouth watering yet? All your favourite Mexican flavours on a pizza.
Ditch the traditional Pizza Sauce and use a salsa as the base and then load it with cheese and vegetables.
If you are looking for some more Mexican recipes to try, then why not try our Mexican Beans on Toast, Mexican Pasta Salad or Mexican Burger.
Why you will love it
- Mexican and Italian fusion - This is the perfect combination of pizza and taco. All your favourite Mexican flavours on a pizza.
- Ready in under 20 minutes - This is a quick and easy recipe.
- Adaptable - Use this recipe as a base and then adapt it with other vegetables and cheese.
- Pizza dough - We make our own pizza dough, as it really isn't has hard as you might think. You can use a good quality store bought one instead though if you prefer.
- Salsa - Instead of a pizza sauce, we used a homemade salsa to give it the Mexican flavours. You can use your favourite store bought salsa if you prefer, but make sure it is a good quality one. You don't want a watery one that will just fall off the pizza.
- Cherry tomatoes - These add a lovely freshness to the pizza. If you want even more of a tomato flavour, then you can add some chopped sun-dried tomatoes too.
- Mature cheddar - We love using mature cheddar on a pizza, because it has such a strong flavour and a little goes a long way.
- Sour cream - This is a topping on the pizza. You can use reduced fat if you prefer. If you wanted to make it lower in calories, then you can use a thick Greek yoghurt instead.
- Guacamole - It's not a Mexican recipe without some guacamole. Make your own fresh for the best flavour.
- Spring onions (scallions) - These add a nice crunch to the finished pizza, however you can leave them out.
- Fresh coriander - To finish off the Mexican vibe, scatter it with some fresh coriander.
A full ingredients list with measurements is in the recipe card below.
How to make Mexican pizza - Step by step
One: Preheat your oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6. Roll the pizza dough out roughly 25cm (10 inch) diameter.
Two: Add the salsa to the dough and spread it out. Add the cherry tomatoes and top with grated cheese.
Three: Put the pizza in the preheated oven and cook for around 12-15 minutes.
Four: Top the cooked pizza with the sour cream, guacamole, spring onions (scallions) and coriander.
What is a Mexican Pizza?
It's basically a pizza, loaded with Mexican flavours. Never tried using salsa as a pizza sauce before? It's the way forward! It gives the pizza sauce a nice chunky texture and having the kick of spice in it makes a nice change. If you aren't a fan of spice, then try a smoky BBQ sauce on the base instead.
You really could add anything you wanted in terms of toppings. Leftover roast chicken would work, some bell peppers would add a nice crunch and some sliced portobello mushrooms would add a nice meaty texture, but still keeping it a vegetarian Mexican pizza. For a pop of colour, add some sweetcorn.
The same goes for the cheese - use what works for you. We used a strong cheddar (stronger means you can get away with using less, which means less calories. Win!). Feta works well too and it is a good alternative to a more traditional queso fresco.
If you wanted to add some more Mexican flavours, then some refried beans are a good addition, as it ground taco beef. You could also swap the salsa for Enchilada Sauce.
It wouldn't be a Mexican meal without some guacamole and sour cream, am I right?! They make a delicious topping just before serving and ensure that the pizza isn't at all dry. You can leave them off if you want though, as they do make it a bit of a messy eating situation.
If you are looking for side dishes, then we have got you covered. Pizza and any kind of potato goes well. Why not try our Air Fryer Potato Wedges, Skin On Fries, Hasselback Potatoes, Parmesan Truffle Fries or Homemade Garlic Crisps?
If you are looking for some vegetable side dishes, then we have got you covered too. Try our Cheesy Cauliflower Nuggets, Broccoli Slaw, Garlic Spring Greens and Roasted Tenderstem Broccoli.
If salads are more your thing, we have a Cucumber and Radish Salad, Chopped Blue Cheese Salad or Little Gem Salad.
Store: This Mexican Pizza is best eaten immediately. However, if you do have leftovers then slices can be wrapped in foil and stored in the fridge for 2 days.
Freeze: To avoid freezer burn, double wrap the pizza slices. Once in cling film (plastic wrap) and then once in foil. It will keep in the freezer for up to 2 months.
Defrost: Defrost in the fridge.
Reheat: You can then either reheat them in the oven, an air fryer or microwave.
Frequently asked questions
This isn't like the Mexican Pizza that you would find in Taco Bell - although they are amazing too. They use tortillas and all of the toppings are in-between the tortillas. Kind of like an overflowing quesadilla with some cheese and tomato on top. But instead of the wholewheat pizza dough we have used, you could use a tortilla which would make it lower in calories. Take a look at our Tortilla Pizza recipe.
So, the next time you can't decide whether to have a pizza or a taco, think about making this Mexican Pizza, as it is the perfect combination of them both.
As long as you use gluten free pizza base and make sure there is no cross contamination, these can be gluten free.
If you use vegan cheese, then this can be a vegan pizza.
• If you don't like spicy food and you don't want to use salsa, then you can swap it for a smoky BBQ sauce instead.
• Keep this pizza lower in calories by swapping the pizza dough for a tortilla base.
• If you want to add some meat to this pizza, then pulled pork works really well. Just don't add too much as it will make the pizza too heavy.
• You could also add some ground taco beef if you wanted some meat on it.
More pizza recipes
If you’ve tried this Mexican Pizza recipe, let us know how you got on in the comments below.
Tag us in your creations on Instagram @hungryhealthyhappy - Use the hashtag #hungryhealthyhappy too.
- 1 Ball of homemade wholewheat pizza dough - (or ready made pizza base)
- 6 tablespoon Salsa - (heaped)
- 6 Cherry tomatoes - sliced
- 60 g (0.5 cups) Mature cheddar
- 8 teaspoon Reduced fat sour cream
- 8 teaspoon Guacamole
- 3 Spring onion (Scallion) - thinly sliced
- 30 g (1 cups) Fresh coriander (cilantro) - finely chopped
- Preheat your oven to 200°C/180°C(fan)/400°F/Gas 6.
- Roll 1 Ball of homemade wholewheat pizza dough out to roughly 25cm (10 inch) diameter.
- Add 6 tablespoon Salsa to the dough and spread it out. Add 6 Cherry tomatoes and top with 60 g Mature cheddar.
- Put the pizza in the preheated oven and cook for around 12-15 minutes.
- Top the cooked pizza with 8 teaspoon Reduced fat sour cream, 8 teaspoon Guacamole, 3 Spring onion (Scallion) and 30 g Fresh coriander (cilantro).
- If you don't like spicy food and you don't want to use salsa, then you can swap it for a smokey BBQ sauce instead.
- Keep this pizza lower in calories by swapping the pizza dough for a tortilla base.
- If you want to add some meat to this pizza, then pulled pork works really well. Just don't add too much as it will make the pizza too heavy.
- You could also add some ground taco beef if you wanted some meat on it.
What a great idea to give pizza a Mexican twist.
I love the idea of this and I could easily see my eating it for breakfast or brunch as I love to start my day with avocado!
hi there , tried to comment on your 15 minute Italian recipe and no comment box opened up. I will say that this one recipe is surely on my list to make. Maybe this weekend. Have a good day! thanks for sharing this
Bintu | Recipes From A Pantry
Pizza always goes down a treat in my house so I could definitely see this being popular - it looks absolutely delicious! I love the look of that pizza oven
That pizza oven is SO cool, and I loved the idea of a bunch of Mexican toppings on a pizza crust. Delicious!
We love anything Mexican here in Texas! You can't go wrong with this combination on a pizza crust.
Gabi Rupp @ Leanjumpstart
I love how the guacamole brings fresh green color to the pizza and also that you use whole wheat dough resulting in a fiber rich, almost clean eating pizza. Wonderful!
Shashi at SavorySpin
Pizza night in our house is going to be such a treat with this loaded Mexican One! Delicious!
I need that outdoor pizza oven!! I'm in love! What a great recipe too - love a mexican pizza !
this sure looks yummy I am making Mexican food this weekend and will have to add this to our menu I know we will love this!
Marie – Not Enough Cinnamon
I never thought of combining the two but this sounds like an excellent and delicious idea! Look at that pizza, so yum!!