This easy Sweet Chilli Salmon is so simple to make and is ready in under 20 minutes. Salmon fillets glazed with a mixture of sweet chilli sauce, soy sauce and lime juice and baked until flakey. Only 4 ingredients are needed for this easy weeknight meal that is also special enough to serve to guests.
We eat salmon a couple of times a week, so we are always looking for ways to flavour a salmon fillet. When we want something really easy, but full of flavour, we turn to sweet chilli sauce. A staple ingredient in our kitchen (for adding to stir fries), it also makes an incredible marinade for salmon. A healthy and protein packed meal, that goes with almost any side dish.
If you are looking for other ways to use sweet chilli sauce, then why not try our Soy Sauce Noodles or 10 Minute Sticky Ginger Beef?
Why you will love it
- Quick and easy - Just a couple of minutes of prep time goes in to making this sweet chilli salmon, and then you can just let it cook to perfection.
- Minimal ingredients - Only 4 ingredients are needed to make this and then the optional sesame seeds and coriander to go on top.
- All done in one pan - Less washing up is good with us.
- A great way to use sweet chilli sauce - If you have some leftover that you don't know what to do with, then this is a good way to use it up.
- Salmon - We used boneless, skin on salmon.
- Sweet chilli sauce - This is the star of the recipe. We used a really good quality store bought sweet chilli sauce, however you could make your own with this Sweet Chilli Sauce Recipe if you prefer.
- Soy sauce - This balances out the sweetness from the sweet chilli sauce and also makes the sauce go further.
- Lime - This adds some freshness to the sauce. You could use lemon juice instead if you prefer.
- Sesame seeds - These are sprinkled on top for some crunch.
- Coriander (cilantro) - We sprinkle some fresh chopped coriander on top before serving. You could use parsley instead.
A full ingredients list with measurements is in the recipe card below.
How to make sweet chilli salmon - Step by step
One: In a bowl, mix together the chilli sauce, soy sauce and lime juice.
Two: Put the salmon fillets onto a lined baking tray. Pour the chilli sauce mixture over the salmon.
Three: Cook the salmon at 220°C/425°F/Gas 7 for 17 minutes.
Four: Serve topped with chopped coriander and sesame seeds.
Health benefits of salmon
- It is one of the best sources of long chain omega-3 fatty acids, which have been proven to reduce inflammation and lower blood pressure. Children who regularly consume foods rich in Omega-3 have been shown in studies to have increased concentration levels and improved learning abilities.
- Salmon is an excellent source of high quality protein - a 100g (3.5oz) portion contains 25g of protein.
- Contains high amounts of B vitamins. These are good for repairing DNA and reducing the causes that can lead to heart disease. B vitamins also help maintain optimal brain and nervous system functioning.
- Scientists are investigating the role fish consumption may have in protecting people from some cancers, Alzheimer’s disease, depression, asthma, diabetes, macular degeneration, high blood pressure and multiple sclerosis.
- Contains antioxidants.
What to serve with Sweet Chilli Salmon
We have served this with our Air Fryer Potato Wedges, however it also goes well with our Cheesy Potato Bake which is one of our favourites for total comfort food. Here are some of our favourite side dishes that go perfectly with this oven baked salmon:
- Parmesan Truffle Fries
- Hasselback Potatoes
- Garlic Smashed Potatoes
- Greek Rice
- Garlic Spring Greens
- Easy Roast Potatoes
- Buttered Leeks
- Mustard Potato Salad
- Cheesy Garlic Bread
- Roasted Tenderstem Broccoli
- No Mayo Coleslaw
- The BEST Air Fryer Chips
- Greek Potatoes
- Mediterranean Potato Salad
You could also keep it simple with a big green salad. The key to an epic green salad is to use a variety of greens, like romaine, spinach, kale and rocket. You want leafy greens, but crunch too. Then you need the perfect dressing. Why not try our Lemon Vinaigrette, Honey and Mustard Dressing or Tomato and Basil Vinaigrette.
You know what goes really well with everything? Garlic bread! Either buy some ready made, or make your own easy garlic bread by cutting up some French stick and spreading it with a mix of butter, crushed garlic and dried herbs. Then pop it in the oven for 10 minutes. Make it next level garlic bread by adding cheese. Why not try our Easy Cheesy Garlic Bread.
Store: If you have leftovers of this, you can store it in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 2 days. We then flake up the salmon and serve it on a salad with the vegetables.
Freeze: You can freeze this in freezer containers for up to a month.
Defrost: Make sure it has been defrosted in the fridge - this might need to be done overnight. Once the salmon has thawed fully, reheat as mentioned below.
Reheat: You can reheat it in the oven on a low heat. Don't reheat it on a high heat, otherwise it will dry out.
Frequently Asked Questions
For salmon to taste its best, you want to choose the freshest that you can. Look for salmon that is moist rather than dried out - moisture content is a good indicator of freshness and it can also tell you how carefully the fish was handled. You also want to avoid salmon with any brown spots around the edges of the fillet or side, or if the skin has started browning and curling up.
You can follow this recipe with skin on or off. We find that keeping the skin on helps to lock in the moisture though. Once the salmon is cooked the skin comes off easily anyway.
This salmon takes about 17 minutes to cook in the oven, however, salmon should reach 145°F/63°C. For a more visual cue, you want to look out for the salmon flesh to be a little opaque and a knife should easily slide through it.
Yes, you definitely can. It can go from perfectly moist and flaky, to dry and overdone very quickly. So make sure to follow the guide above to make sure your salmon is perfectly cooked.
Salmon, like other fish, develops a grey-ish, brown layer of insulating fat between its skin and flesh. Yes, you can eat it, although it does have a stronger salmon flavour that some people don't like. This grey layer contains plenty of heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids too.
Yes, if salmon isn't your thing or another fish is on offer, then by all means switch it up. This recipe also works well on tuna steak, haddock and cod.
Yes, this is gluten free. Just be careful with cross contamination and remember to keep any side dishes gluten free too.
We love throwing it on top of a salad with avocado or stirring it into some cooked spaghetti with some creme fraiche and fresh dill. Why not try making our Salmon Pate or Easy Salmon Pasta?
You can do, and it would take about 10-12 minutes. However, because of the high sugar content of the sweet chilli sauce, we find that it can burn easily under the grill.
Yes, this can be cooked in the air fryer? Once the salmon is glazed, put it in the air fryer skin side down and cook at 180°C for 10 minutes.
• Take this sweet chilli salmon to the next level by sprinkling some Parmesan on top before it goes in the oven.
• This recipe can easily be doubled or tripled, depending on how many people you are serving.
• You could make this recipe using a side of salmon too.
More salmon recipes
If you’ve tried this sweet chilli salmon recipe, let us know how you got on in the comments below.
Tag us in your creations on Instagram @hungryhealthyhappy - Use the hashtag #hungryhealthyhappy too.
Sweet Chilli Salmon
- 240 g (8.5 oz) Salmon fillet - (approx 120g/4.25oz per fillet)
- 4 tablespoon Sweet chilli sauce
- 1 tablespoon Soy sauce
- 0.5 Lime - juice only
- 1 teaspoon Sesame seeds
- 5 g (0.25 cups) Fresh coriander (cilantro) - finely chopped
- Preheat you oven to 220°C/425°F/Gas 7.
- In a bowl, mix together 4 tablespoon Sweet chilli sauce, 1 tablespoon Soy sauce and juice of 0.5 Lime.
- Put 240 g Salmon fillet onto a lined baking tray. Pour the chilli sauce mixture over the salmon.
- Cook the salmon for 17 minutes.
- Serve topped with 5 g Fresh coriander (cilantro) and 1 teaspoon Sesame seeds.
- Take this sweet chilli salmon to the next level by sprinkling some Parmesan on top before it goes in the oven.
- This recipe can easily be doubled or tripled, depending on how many people you are serving.
- You could make this recipe using a side of salmon too.
Loved the sweet chili with the salmon! To die for!
Perfect weeknight meal! I only like salmon when it's paired with strong flavors, and this recipe was delicious.
Love how simple this is! Can't wait to try it
Had all the ingredients for this and bought some salmon this week so whipped this up- super easy and SO good!!
I love how quick and easy this salmon recipe is!
Wow! The salmon looks super yummy! Love the sweet and chilli combination!
Drooling over this salmon recipe. So delicious and flavourful. Thanks for sharing
I'm always looking for new and exciting ways to cook salmon, and this sweet chilli salmon will be on the menu for many dinners to come!
I now know sweet chili and salmon go perfectly together. This fish was one of the best I have ever made!
Yummy salmon flavor! I can't wait to cook this :)
I can't wait to make this! I've been making salmon for years, and I've started to run out of ideas. This looks delicious!
The flavors were fabulous salmon is a staple here and I loved the taste this had with the chili
A delicious way to change up our weekly salmon dinner. A bottle of sweet chili sauce is such a versatile ingredient for easy meals with big flavor like this one!
Love how quick and easy this salmon recipe is. Super tasty too and perfect for busy weeknights.