This restaurant quality air fryer cod is going to change the way you think about white fish. It is a delicious and healthy option when you are looking for a meal that is ready in under 10 minutes. A healthier alternative to takeaway fish and chips.
Cod is a mild-tasting fish and it is perfect for air frying, as it cooks quickly and evenly and gets nice and crispy. Cooking cod in the air fryer is a great alternative to traditional fried fish, as it is much healthier and contains less fat.
This couldn't be easier to make. Simply season the fish with your favourite spices and place it in the air fryer basket. Cook for 10 minutes, or until the fish is golden brown and cooked through. You end up with a crispy and flavourful piece of fish with minimal effort.
This cod loin recipes is so versatile, and it can be served with so many different sides. It's low in carbs and high in protein and there are lots of different ways you can season it so you will never it the same way twice. If you have been put off cooking cod before, then you have to try cod in the air fryer, because it's foolproof!
Ingredients and substitutions
- Cod - We used cod loin as they are nice and thick and have a real meaty texture to them. You can use cod fillet which tends to be leaner and more budget friendly. Keep the skin on as it will keep it together in the air fryer.
- Seasoning - We used a spicy Italian seasoning, but your favourite seasoning blend will work.
- Oil - Use a good quality olive oil.
- Butter - This adds a lovely rich flavour to the cod and helps it to stay moist too.
- Lemons - How much lemon juice you will need depends on how juicy your lemon is. Add lemon zest for extra lemon flavour.
A full ingredients list with measurements is in the recipe card below.
How to make air fryer cod - Step by step
One: Combine the oil, butter, lemon juice and seasoning.
Two: Dip the cod loins into the mixture.
Three: Put the cod into your air fryer. Pour over any remaining mixture.
Four: Add slices of lemon.
Five: Cook at 200°C for 10 minutes.
There are so many different ways that you can serve this air fried cod. You could flake it up to put on a salad or in a sandwich, or even use it as a taco filling for our Fish Taco recipe. We served it with Air Fryer Hasselback Potatoes and Cumin Cabbage.
However, if we want it as a more filling meal, or we are serving it up to guests, then we add some sides to it. Cheesy Potato Bake is one of our favourites for total comfort food. Here are some of our favourite side dishes that go perfectly with this cod:
If you want a sauce to serve with this cod fillet in air fryer, then we definitely recommend our Homemade Tartare Sauce.
The great thing about cod is that it is so versatile. We went with lemon, butter and Italian seasoning, but there are so many different seasoning options and here are some of our favourites:
- Honey and chipotle
- Lemon and basil
- Honey and mustard
- Garlic and chilli sauce
- Lemon and dill
- Chilli and lime
Crispy - For extra crispy cod, coat the fillets in a mixture of breadcrumbs, herbs, and spices before cooking. You could add some Parmesan too.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can use frozen cod for this recipe, but you will need to thaw it first. You can do this in the fridge overnight.
Air fryer cod is a good source of vitamins and minerals, including vitamin B12, vitamin D, and selenium. You can also get it nice and crispy in the air fryer without frying in a lot of oil.
To keep the cooked cod in the fridge, wrap it tightly in foil or plastic wrap, or in an airtight container, and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Cooking time will depend on how thick your cod loin is, and also your air fryer as they all cook differently. Ours was perfectly cooked at 10 minutes, but you might want to check it at 8 minutes.
Cod should be cooked to an internal temperature of 63°C/145°F. The best way to test the internal temperature is with a meat thermometer. If you don't have a thermometer, you can cut gently into the thickest part of the fish.
More air fryer recipes
Air Fryer Cod
- 260 g (9 oz) Cod loins - (approx 130g/4.5oz per loin)
- 2 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- 2 teaspoon Butter - melted
- 1 Lemon - sliced
- 0.5 Lemon - juice only
- Combine 1 tablespoon Olive oil, 2 teaspoon Butter, juice of 0.5 Lemon and 2 tablespoon Italian seasoning.
- Dip 260 g Cod loins loins into the mixture.
- Put the cod into your air fryer. Pour over any remaining mixture.
- Add slices of 1 Lemon.
- Cook at 200°C for 10 minutes.
- Pat the cod loins dry with a paper towel before using them.
- One of the most important things to keep in mind when cooking cod in an air fryer is to use the right temperature. Typically, a temperature of around 200°C is ideal for cooking cod in an air fryer. This will help ensure that the fish cooks through evenly without becoming overcooked or undercooked.
- It is important not to overcrowd the air fryer basket when cooking cod. This can prevent the fish from cooking through evenly and may cause it to become overcooked or undercooked. Instead, cook the fish in batches if necessary to ensure that it cooks through perfectly every time.
- Make sure the cod loin are a similar thickness, so that they all cook at an even rate.
- Keep an eye on your cod at about 7-8 minutes, as they all cook differently.
- Don't flip the cod in the air fryer. Unless it is fully cooked, it will fall apart.
The nutritional information provided is approximate and is calculated using online tools. Information can vary depending on various factors, but we have endeavoured to be as accurate as possible.