A chicken mayo sandwich is an absolute classic, and so easy to make, especially if you are using leftover chicken. Follow our tips to make a really special chicken sandwich. Made in less than 10 minutes, it's a creamy and comforting sandwich with plenty of crunch.
This is my favourite way to use up leftover chicken (although you can cook chicken fresh for this). A simple chicken mayonnaise sandwich, but with plenty of flavour from a few extra additions.
If you are thinking, "isn't it just chicken and mayonnaise mixed together?" It is SO much more than that. Just a few simple ingredients and it takes this chicken sandwich filling to the next level.
If you are looking for other ways to use leftover chicken, they why not try our Leftover Chicken Pasta, Easy Coronation Chicken or Chicken and Pea Risotto?
Why you will love it
- A great way to use up leftovers - Don't let any leftover chicken go to waste. This is a delicious way to use it up.
- Versatile - There are lots of ways that you can adapt this chicken sandwich and we have shared our favourite ways below.
- Filling - This is a protein packed sandwich with the shredded chicken. You could even mash up some white beans in there to give it even more of a protein boost too.
Ingredients and substitutions
- Cooked chicken - We used leftovers from our Air Fryer Chicken Breasts, but any leftover chicken will work. You can also cook chicken from fresh.
- Mayonnaise - This is a little tip we have to add extra flavour. Whilst you can use regular mayo, we have used lemon mayo which adds SO much flavour. You could also use a garlic mayo or a chilli version. Use an egg free version if you need to.
- Celery - This adds lots of added crunch. We like to chop it up very, very fine so it's all mixed in.
- Shallot - Not only does this add crunch, but some added sweetness.
- Salt and pepper - Generously season.
- Bread - A good quality bread is important, as it needs to be able to hold the heavy sandwich filling. We like a wholemeal loaf, but your favourite sliced bread will work. You could use our Slow Cooker Bread.
- Tomato - The bigger the better here, so they don't get lost in the chicken sandwich. We used beef tomatoes and added thick slices.
- Lettuce - This adds lots of crunch and any lettuce will work. We used little gem, but romaine or iceberg will work.
A full ingredients list with measurements is in the recipe card below.
How to make a chicken mayo sandwich - Step by step
One: In a bowl, add the chicken, mayo, shallot, celery, salt and pepper (a). Mix well (b).
Two: Butter the bread (optional) and divide the chicken mixture over two slices (a). Add the tomatoes (b), lettuce (c) and the other slices of bread (d).
This mayo chicken is such a good way to use up leftover chicken. We used leftovers from our Air Fryer Chicken Breasts, but you could also use leftovers from our Slow Cooker Whole Chicken or Best EVER Roast Chicken.
You don't have to use leftover chicken though, you could buy a rotisserie chicken from the supermarket to make this, or just cook some chicken fresh. Flatten and fry a chicken breast, and it should only take 7-8 minutes and then you can either shred it or dice up to make this chicken filler. The best flavour will come from skin on chicken.
Leftover turkey from our Roast Turkey Breast would work well too, and it's a nice way to use up Christmas leftovers.
Fresh herbs - Fresh herbs make everything better, right? And it's a nice way to lighten up with chicken mayo sandwich. We think that parsley, chives or dill work well. We wouldn't recommend using a woody herb.
Cheese - This isn't missing cheese, but it does make it deliciously indulgent. We like adding some grated Parmesan or crumbling some feta or Stilton in.
Salad - Basically, any salad ingredients that you would usually add to a sandwich can go in this chicken sandwich recipe. We also like adding cucumber, shredded cabbage or carrot and bell peppers. You could also add some chopped spinach for a green boost.
Bread - Whilst we have just used sliced bread, there are lots of other options. You could use a baguette, or even a bagel, wrap or pita.
What to serve with a Chicken Mayonnaise Sandwich
We think this is a pretty epic and filling meal by itself, however if you did want to add some sides then we have you covered. Why not try one of these:
- Hasselback Potatoes
- Celeriac Chips
- Crispy Garlic Smashed Potatoes
- Little Gem Salad
- Canarian Potatoes
- Parmesan Truffle Fries
- Oven Baked Onion Rings
- Cucumber Salad
- No Mayo Coleslaw
- Bagel Crisps
- Air Fryer Potato Wedges
Frequently Asked Questions
The sandwiches are best eaten straight away, however if you have leftovers of the chicken mayo filling, then it will store in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. You may need to add a little extra mayo, as the chicken will have soaked it up. We like to add leftovers to a jacket potato.
Shredded chicken tends to soak up the mayo more, whereas diced chicken will have the mayo coated on it. It really is a preference thing.
If you use a gluten free bread and make sure there is no cross contamination, then this can be a gluten free sandwich.
• You don't have to make a sandwich with this. Why not use it as the topping for a salad?
• If you wanted to make a vegetarian version of this, you could use a chicken alternative, or mashed chickpeas. Make it vegan by using a vegan mayo too.
• Add some cooked chopped bacon for extra flavour and saltiness.
• You don't need to butter the bread when using a mayo based sandwich filling.
• Make sure your chicken has totally cooled before mixing with the mayo. If it is still even slightly warm, it will go a strange consistency.
More sandwich recipes
If you’ve tried this chicken mayo sandwich, let us know how you got on in the comments below.
Tag us in your creations on Instagram @hungryhealthyhappy - Use the hashtag #hungryhealthyhappy too.
Chicken Mayo Sandwich
- 1 Cooked chicken breast - shredded
- 4 tablespoon Mayonnaise
- 1 rib Celery - finely diced
- 1 Shallots - finely diced
- 1 Tomato - sliced
- 1 Little gem lettuce
- 4 slice Bread
- 1 pinch Sea salt and black pepper
- In a bowl, add 1 Cooked chicken breast (chopped), 4 tablespoon Mayonnaise, 1 Shallots, 1 rib Celery and 1 pinch Sea salt and black pepper.
- Mix well.
- Butter 4 slice Bread (optional) and divide the chicken mixture over two slices.
- Add 1 Tomato (sliced), 1 Little gem lettuce (chopped) and the other slices of bread.
- You don't have to make a sandwich with this. Why not use it as the topping for a salad?
- If you wanted to make a vegetarian version of this, you could use a chicken alternative, or mashed chickpeas. Make it vegan by using a vegan mayo too.
- Add some cooked chopped bacon for extra flavour and saltiness.
- You don't need to butter the bread when using a mayo based sandwich filling.
- Make sure your chicken has totally cooled before mixing with the mayo. If it is still even slightly warm, it will go a strange consistency.
Thank you so much for this very easy recipe!! It is so good!
Had this yesterday this is just the way we like ours mixed in chicken delicious~
I love that this is really easy to make!! It quickly became a favorite at my house!
A perfect, classic chicken mayo sandwich! Yum!
Lovely sandwich that both my husband and I enjoyed for lunch yesterday! We added some parsley and chives too and sandwiched the filling in slices of seeded bread! Delicious!
A definte chicken winner for lunch. This sandwich was easy to make and delicious for a hearty lunch meal!
This looks like such an easy and delicious sandwich! Perfect for a weekday lunch!
This quick, easy to make and scrumptious sandwich is perfect for a quick lunch or dinner on a week day.
You can never go wrong with a classic. I added a little bacon for some more crunch. So good!
This is just so simple and delicious and perfect. Love the combo of the creaminess, the fresh veggies, and the hearty chicken!